Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#25203 03-19-2002 08:58 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi my name is Juan. I am new. I have some questions maybe somebody can help me. I have a friend who had a lump in the top of the mouth in the back of the mouth. They operated and took it out. They are waiting a month to recheck this person. I have noticed that there are some lumps near his shoulder blade and one down by his waist. Does this sound like it is spreading?

#25204 03-19-2002 09:02 AM
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

You have not said what it was that the doctors took out. Besides malignant masses, there are a variety of benign masses or lumps which may have been removed from your friends mouth. Cancers spread or metastasize when malignant cells travel through either the circulatory system with the blood or through the lymphatic system to distant locations from the original site of the primary cancer. The locations where you have described new lumps occuring, are certainly locations of groups of lymph nodes, and these are common sites for a metastasis to occur. I think that he should see a doctor to have these lumps examined and biopsied to know for sure what is happening. Most likely they will do a fine needle biopsy of several of the lumps, which is not that uncomfortable to have done, and not expensive. The small amount of cells removed by the needle will then be examinined by a pathologist. My personal preference would be to go to an oncologist who is familar with cancers rather than a general MD or general surgeon. If there is a cancer center or clinic close by, they will have a multidiciplinary staff who will be able to provide the most well rounded opinion. Remember that will all types of cancer, the best end results come from the earliest diagnosis and treatment. Please do not waste time looking for answers on the web.......only a trained professional can make a proper diagnosis after seeing the patient in person, and even then, only with a biopsy of the suspect tissue.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#25205 03-19-2002 09:04 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

He didn't really say. He said there's growth and tissue around it, at the top sides and back of mouth. Even befor the biopsy he became very tired and out of breath. Since the operation (he didn't tell the doctor) they gave him amoxcillian he said that he had congestion but couldn't spit it up because of the mouth. He is not coughing nor has any congestion, but gets tired easily. Sent him to hospital and they said nothing coming out of... I think left lung, maybe collapsed they said. He used to smoke. They said pnuomonia and gave him Levaquin. Does this sound like lung cancer? What is a good place to go to? The area is Central Jersey.

#25206 03-19-2002 09:06 AM
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

This is getting to far away from my area of knowlege to be able to help you, and too many things that you describe seem unusual. I can not tell you what clinics are in New Jersey, but one of the finest cancer centers in the world, Memorial Sloan Kettering is in NY. Your friend needs to get another opinion of what is going on, and he needs to ask lots of questions so he knows exactly what the situation is. I am sorry I could not be of more help with this.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#25207 03-19-2002 09:07 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you. I apprciate all the info that you have given me.

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics