Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#202101 Yesterday at 07:30 PM
acj19 Online OP
OP Online

hello everyone, it has been a very long time since i've posted here! i keep you all in my thoughts frequently, the advice and support i received on here when i was a kid was truly helpful and you guys are easily some of the most inspirational people i have ever met. the perseverance in the face of adversity you all demonstrate is truly remarkable.

as for the update- when i made my first post, i believed i would need a fibula free flap from an ameloblastoma. while this was not the case, my injuries were pretty significant. in 2023, i got a full coronoidectomy. this year, the surgical site got infected which turned into sepsis, leading to the partial removal of my masseter, full excision of the temporalis, and the replacement of the zygomatic arch with a stryker plate, followed up with six weeks of picc line antibiotic treatment. to say this ordeal was terrifying would be an understatement. as of the 11th, i have been six months infection free, and have just been cleared to begin cosmetic surgery to fix the deficits in january. i have also been progressed to yearly scans starting in 2025 instead of every four months.

it is difficult to state how much of an impact this forum has made on me, so i will just say this: when i made my initial post, i was a 17 year old who had just graduated from high school. as of today, i am a junior in university studying public health and preparing to apply to dental school to work with this pathology. managing patients with oral cancer is something that i truly believe is my calling, and i don't think i would have figured it out as quickly as i did had i not had insight from you all. i started out in orthodontics, but i had a nagging feeling that there was something i was missing- pathology was that "something". i get immense joy from helping others in similar situations as me. you passed down the support torch to me, and i am using it to the best of my ability, lol. this will likely be my last post, but i wanted to get on here and let you guys know that you do matter, and you make a bigger impact than you'd think. when everything may seem hopeless, just remember that. i wish you all the best of luck on your journey, and peace in wherever it takes you. thank you all so much, from the bottom of my heart. <3

1 member likes this: Nels
Assistant Administrator
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Assistant Administrator
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Dear ACJ,

Wow, you have been through some difficult times. Your story and passion are beautiful and you will surely continue to help many others through this difficult experience. I too can now look back, after over 4 years, and see my cancer experience as one of the greatest gifts I have ever received. It allowed me to grow my faith, get baptized, and square my life around faith and love rather than chasing my pride in circles.

Wishing you the best in your endeavors and please keep us updated. Loved reading your message.

Stay safe and keep the faith,
Nels

OC thriver, Tongue Stage IV, diag 3/12/20, surg 4/1/20, RT compltd 7/8/20
acj19 Online OP
OP Online

hi nels,
i completely agree. while i am not religious by any means, this journey has definitely stripped my ego and humbled me in ways i couldn't have imagined possible. while my body and mind may never be the same, i do think i am a better person for all of this and am eager to use my experience to help others. it's very hard to express my sentiments towards this situation in words! i appreciate your insight as well as your helpfulness towards others. good luck on your journey friend. <3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,916
Newest Members
eb123, ACCbama, Kelly Kar, LKChia, Shaunas
13,205 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23