Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
VidPro Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi,

I'm having a really tough time dealing with this...never been good with doctors. I'm just bundle of nerves and I'm terrified at the moment.

Around July I felt like I had a canker on the right side of of tongue and when I checked in the mirror I saw that the side of my tongue had a very large whit patch. I eventually went down the Google rabbit hole and learned about Leukoplakia. The mild discomfort pain seemingly got better over time, but never gone completely. I went to my dentist and he said give it a week and let's check it again. After a week it looked like it was fading and I was pretty happy about it, but it never quite disappeared. I finally made an appointment with an oral surgeon who told me it was Leukoplakia, but saw no problem in waiting six weeks to see if it goes away.

I also had a very large amalgam filling that was really a tooth built out of the stuff. He said get rid of that and cap it which I did two days later. After the filling was removed I noticed the burning sensation and metallic taste was gone and the white patch soon receded to very little. I thought I was in the clear, but the oral surgeon said it's still there and a biopsy is needed. He wouldn't even recognize how much it changed over the six weeks which was disappointing. When I first saw him I told him that it would be worse in the morning, but better at night and seemed to fade in those hours. I would actively keep my tongue away from that tooth/filling. He flippantly said it was wishful thinking. Whatever the results are, I will probably find another oral surgeon. He does not have a very good bedside manor. He said he doesn't think it's cancer and it might be mild to moderate Dysplasia according to him. It might even be frictional, which I heard under his breath.

I'm worried mostly because of this on off pain. It can feel like it's gone to mild discomfort and some burning. It's weird how it can shut off and come back. It has definitely changed over the past couple of months. It was worse then and I've had days were I think it's gone for good.

Anyway, I go in tomorrow for the biopsy and in my head I'm expecting the worst possible outcome.

Thanks for reading~

Last edited by VidPro; 10-03-2024 10:04 AM.
VidPro Offline OP
OP Offline

Biopsy done yesterday. Hurts Ike hell, but a bit better this morning. This doctor likes to have the patient come in when the results are in no matter what the results end up being. Can’t get to the office until the 18th so another two weeks of being on pins and needles. We will not be around next Friday so the doc said no concerns if we wait another week which makes me feel slightly better. Just happy to get this part done.

Assistant Administrator
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Assistant Administrator
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Hi Vidpro,

Welcome to OCF. I am sorry for the anxiety and pain you are suffering. This process can be a real roller coaster. Thank you for reaching out and sharing your experience. It will certainly help others and we are here to support you. Please keep us up to date.

Stay safe, keep the faith,
Nels

OC thriver, Tongue Stage IV, diag 3/12/20, surg 4/1/20, RT compltd 7/8/20
VidPro Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you. I go from this will be nothing to the worst possible scenario. I've been tied up in knots for weeks.

VidPro Offline OP
OP Offline

Just over a week and my tongue still hurts. Mostly where he did not take the biopsy. If I press the side of my tongue on my jaw it really hurts. I can see it’s still swollen a bit. I’m so tired and exhausted from playing out scenarios in my head next Friday.

VidPro Offline OP
OP Offline

This morning much better. I could feel last night like the pain switch was shutting off. Still some discomfort and I can see white patches around the biopsy. I,suspect those will go away once I’m fully healed.

Anyone else have a doctor that will not release results unless it’s in-person? It’s really annoying me and making me wait seems cruel to me.

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,916
Newest Members
Kelly Kar, LKChia, Shaunas, Kelly P., Fierce
13,203 Registered Users
Forum Statistics