Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
OP Offline

Hi Paan
I did get my dx of SCC, and will have surgery on 2/19/21, followed by a neck dissection a month later. That’s the plan so far.

I have felt very fatigued for quite some time and wonder if that was an early cancer sign? The dr’s didnt know why. My fatigue is still very prominent. Although I sleep, I dont feel refreshed.

~brenshere ❤️

Hello Paan,
I was also DX with SCC HPV Negative. I had my CT PET Scan completed. They came back clean from what I read but I am no Doctor. I will see the Oncologist, Surgeon, Speech Therpist, and social worker tomorrow to set the treatment plan I know for sure there will be the removal not sure about Chemo or Radiation yet.

keep your head up! Your not alone!

D.Sapien

Hi Brenshere, sorry to hear of your diagnosis but glad you have a surgical plan! For me, the worst was not knowing what's next so I always felt better after my appointments, then I could do research and prepare myself.

There is tons of info here so read through some of the old posts! I had a partial glossectomy with neck dissection back in December so if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask- it's very fresh for me! smile

Take care,
Martha

OP Offline

Martha,
Thanks so much for sharing and offer!
My PET scan showed some metastasis in my neck, so, it’s good that I pushed for the dissection.
I was hoping for no radiation etc but that may be in the picture.
The surgeries are tomorrow, so, I should find out more on Saturday or within the week for future care.
Thanks again.
I’d love to hear how your progress is coming along.

~brenshere ❤️

Hi Bren, hope your surgery went well. How are you doing? I am sorry to hear about the spread, sounds like radiation is a definite possibility! It comes with some challenges but most people here have gotten through it!

In terms of my progress I'm doing pretty well these days, although the pathology of my tumor showed spread to one lymph node with some extracapsular extension (cancer cells invading beyond the walls of the node) so I am currently undergoing radiation therapy and some chemo as well. On week 3 of 6, starting to feel the effects of the rads now (sore and sensitive tongue, dry mouth, limited taste). It's annoying driving to the hospital every day but hopefully any remaining cancer cells are getting zapped into oblivion!!

Aside from the sore mouth from rads I am feeling OK, maybe my energy levels are a bit short but I am still working (from home, self-employed) and I hope to throughout treatment. After surgery I felt very well, and my speech is more or less fine though I do have a slight lisp. I had a reconstruction using a skin flap from my forearm, so that part of my tongue feels a bit tied down in my mouth if that makes sense. I can't really stick my tongue out very far anymore. In terms of eating I just have to be much more mindful and take my time, chew each bite well, lots of sips of water etc. Pre-radiation I was eventually able to manage most foods, but I am back to a soft, easy to chew diet for now.

Keep us updated!

OP Offline

Hi Martha
Thank you for the support and positivity.
I’m struggling both physically and mentally. My pain is in my jaw, teeth and neck, and I have overall body aches. My nephew died suddenly on Sat AM, so his dad who has been taking care of me will need to go home tomorrow.

~brenshere ❤️
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users