Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2

No problem Dizzey! From what I understand not all OC patients have teeth issues due to radiation, and I believe it's something that happens down the road if you do. Probably why it wasn't mentioned. But studies are showing that HBO has great benefits for OC patients above and beyond jaw deterioration prevention. I learned that radiation to the oral cavity is so damaging that it takes a lot of dives to repair some of the damage. My insurance covered the maximum of 60, which is what I did. I hope your NHS will help cover the treatment if you decide to do it. I would like to see HBO therapy promoted by all Radiologists for follow-up treatment after radiation. I think it should be protocol after experiencing my results. Good luck to you! I am not on this site all that often but I've read some of your posts and it sounds like you have an excellent attitude and you are taking this massive life changing challenge by the horns. It's remarkable and inspiring. smile

Hi. I’m in the UK and after a hemiglossectomy at the beginning of October am deciding whether or not to go ahead with Radiotherapy. Like you, dentistry has only been mentioned as an afterthought.

Just wondered if you’d made any progress?

June 2018 Biopsy - all clear.
Oct 2020 OSCC left hemiglossectomy, reconstruction and neck dissection
T3N0M0

Radiotherapy under consideration - no Recommendation from Oncologist
"OCF across the pond"
Gold Member (200+ posts)
"OCF across the pond"
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Hey TG,

I went back to my medical team and asked them for advice. The hospital dentist is a nightmare, so I said I'm happy to work with my own dentist and pay for private dentist, but I need their advice on what to do. T
Apparently I had 65 greys per fraction of radiotherapy, which is crazy high. My team said I need to wait 3 years before considering any removal of healthy teeth.

I had no problem with that at all. They said I could continue to have my hygienist deep clean appointment.
At the time of my appointment, my tooth at the front was quite loose, and the dentist knocked it whilst cleaning the area. The tooth fell out! It turns out it wasn't attached to the bone any longer. Fingers crossed I don't have any long term effects in the future.

F 39 x-smoker no alcohol
05/20/19 T4aN1/N2bM0 SCC a whopper of a tumour at 8cm long & 4cm wide
Pembro pre & post surgery
RIG
Glossectomy ND RFFR 08/13/19
RT x33
2x cispltin
So far, no evidence of disease
Now an author of a recipe book for mouth cancer patients
"OCF across the pond"
Gold Member (200+ posts)
"OCF across the pond"
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Hi Stessy,

Where are you in the UK? I'm North London.

For me, whilst radiotherapy is brutal, it is worthwhile in the long run as it hopefully gets rid of any cancer and pre-cancer cells that are microscopic. It's hard work, but if I had to do it again, I would.

F 39 x-smoker no alcohol
05/20/19 T4aN1/N2bM0 SCC a whopper of a tumour at 8cm long & 4cm wide
Pembro pre & post surgery
RIG
Glossectomy ND RFFR 08/13/19
RT x33
2x cispltin
So far, no evidence of disease
Now an author of a recipe book for mouth cancer patients
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard