Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
"OCF across the pond"
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"
Gold Member (200+ posts)

I managed a whole spoonful of ice cream. Still too cold in the mouth and throat. Today I've had a small glass of cold milk, with sips of tepid water in between. I'm now trying a very weak cordial (flavoured water) as i'm so fed up of plain water now.

Yup, 4 weeks today post rads. Still have 2 massive swollen bits on the inside of my cheeks and a huge sore above one of them.The back of my mouth is still inflamed but also itchy, which I guess is the new membrane growing back. My throat is easing though. Saturday I'm going to try some lukewarm soup and cheesey mash potato. I'm nervous but also excited. I've been able to eat some smooth fruit yoghurt. I had to leave them out of the fridge to warm up a little though, and try not to hit the sore by my cheek.

The mucus has drastically reduced. I hardly cough anything up now I just sound ike I've got a heavy cold, but my saliva gets foamy and I get a dry mouth at night where I'm drinking a lot water to get me through the night.

I can't wait when everything settles and I know what is my 'normal'

F 39 x-smoker no alcohol
05/20/19 T4aN1/N2bM0 SCC a whopper of a tumour at 8cm long & 4cm wide
Pembro pre & post surgery
RIG
Glossectomy ND RFFR 08/13/19
RT x33
2x cispltin
So far, no evidence of disease
Now an author of a recipe book for mouth cancer patients

I’m 2 weeks past 35 daily radiation treatments and weekly Cisplatin for PV+ base of tongue SCC. I’m anxious to get back to somewhat normal.

I spit a lot of phlegm and swallowing is very painful.
When will this end??!!

I’m maintaining weight via feeding tube.

I’m also not very energetic and sleep more than usual. But do get outside and walk a mile.

BOT, HPV16+, SCC
Started 35 daily radiation treatments and weekly Cisplatin 9/30/19.
"OCF across the pond"
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"
Gold Member (200+ posts)

It will end. You're doing fantastically well. Congratulations on finishing your radiotherapy and cisplatin. Sleeping is really good as is using your tube to maintain your weight and hydration.
It gets better as time goes on.

F 39 x-smoker no alcohol
RIG
RT x33
2x cispltin
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Glad to hear that mucous is resolving Dizz. From what I’ve read people who thought they had reach their new normal were surprised to find down the road they continue to heal and progress even further. I guess they’re right when they say everyone’s body is different and will heal in different ways. Hope the soup goes down well for you.

SSC Lt sublingual tongue; Age 62
Positive biopsy 20June2019
Staging done 2 Jul : Stage 1
Quit smoking 15 years ago; not a drinker; no HPV
Pet/ CT 6Jul2019 : Negative. Not even the Lt tongue lit up.
Partial Glossectomy 22Jul2019
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Glad to hear you’re doing well! Bob’s been doing quite a bit of soup and yogurt too although he has to make sure not too hot, not too cold. Said he feels like Goldilocks! Enjoy every bite - you’ve earned it!

"OCF across the pond"
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Hey Mokie. It's definitely a case of wait and see what happens. Every day feels like I'm finding something different.

How are you doing?

F 39 x-smoker no alcohol
RIG
RT x33
2x cispltin
"OCF across the pond"
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Hi Eileen. I'm glad Bob's doing well. What flavours of soup is having? I'm having a bit of a crisis with food. I can manage yoghurt but anything else I seem to be frightened of trying. I choked a few weeks ago and now, I've discovered, I have developed a fear of choking so haven't got any further than smooth yoghurt. Not even soup!

F 39 x-smoker no alcohol
RIG
RT x33
2x cispltin

OMG! Bob is really nervous about that too. He’s had a couple close calls that scared the heck out of both of us so I can imagine how you feel. Be patient with yourself and take baby steps. You’ll get there. He finished treatment Aug 1 so he’s a bit ahead of you. He’s been sticking to cream soups. So far, cream of chicken and butternut squash are the favorites (although he picks out the pieces of chicken in that one but it’s Campbell’s so no big loss). On Thanksgiving he made a valiant effort to try some other things but mashed potatoes with gravy was his limit. Everything else he had to spit out.

"OCF across the pond"
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Oh bless him. OK so I might keep a mirror with me so I can check my mouth in between 'bites'. Creamy soups are the way forward. OK I've got some cream of chicken at home, I put it through a sieve to remove the chicken bits (my cat can have those. He's also a Bob smile ) I'll leave the tomato soup for now. I'll go shopping for some other 'cream of ....' and sieve out any bits. Thank you smile

How are you doing?

F 39 x-smoker no alcohol
RIG
RT x33
2x cispltin

Haha! A cat named Bob!🤣 Yeah, tomato soup didn’t work too well for Bob either. He said it burned and also tasted sort of metallic. I just looked up a recipe for a basic cream soup so I’ll be trying my hand at that today. Supposedly, you can then add any vegetable you like so I’ll give it a whirl. I’m doing ok but things have been a bit tense around here the last two weeks or so. Bob had his lung biopsy and the results were not what we wanted to hear - SCC in the left lung. Oncologist has sent the tissue out for further testing to see if immunotherapy is an option. He also said that standard chemo, radiation, and cyber knife are also options. I was just glad to hear there are options. Bob is understandably sad and scared.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users