Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#197777 01-10-2019 05:31 PM
OP Offline

Hi everyone. I'm 5 weeks out of treatment and trying to get my surveillance scopes done. Gag reflexes run strong in my family and the 2 doctors I've seen since treatment is finished, I haven't been able to let them get the scope more than an inch or two in my nose before I start gagging and pulling my head away. My doctor today recommended I get some anxiety meds from my primary doctor and be referred to a cognitive therapist to try and find a way to cope with the scoping. I was just wondering how you all handle getting scoped. I'm in for a long road if I can't find a way to deal with this, especially knowing how often I'll need to be scoped.

-ngerecitano
ngerecitano #197780 01-10-2019 07:59 PM
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

I'm with you on the gag reflexes. I'm on pretty strong doses of anti-anxiety meds anyway, and I suppose it helps some, but not enough (but then again, if it did help, I wouldn't be on them in the first place, now, would I, LOL). Definitely get something if he suggests it ... and he ought to be able to prescribe a small dose for you, shouldn't he? Like the dental surgeons sometimes do. Cognitive therapy is NOT the answer to everything, and isn't going to work fast enough to get you a scope done really soon, though therapy definitely has its place, and I've had friends who've done various of those kinds with great results. (Mine are more talk therapy, and have taken longer.) Also, give yourself some credit ... you're only five weeks out!! Many of us couldn't even manage a bite of real food at that point, and this guy is insisting on sticking something down your sensitive nose and down your poor raw throat. Your body is putting up the fight God designed it to, and you should be proud it works so well. (I need to use this pep talk on myself sometime, clearly.)

On a more pragmatic note, did they use numbing spray? Did they use ENOUGH? (I found out, after several visits, that other patients were getting more numbing spray than I was, and also that I kept tilting my head forward afterward, thus letting my runny nose drip it all back out again instead of down the path it needed to go. Sigh. I think it was my Mom who noticed that one for me, as my back-up driver.)

Do they treat you well in other ways? Because if they are expecting you to be an expert at this so soon in the game, another option is to find a more sympathetic ENT. Not ideal to have to switch doctors, but you don't need a doctor who patient-blames, either.

The scoping tapers off. Honestly, I don't think my guy followed up at all after a year or maybe two ... it was like I dropped off the radar. Maybe because he felt sorry for me (and for himself having to treat me, LOL), and maybe because I really was recovering well, but even then, the appointments were less frequent intervals before I stopped having to go.

Oh, and I carry a tiny travel teddy bear everywhere I go. For comfort. Started as a travel thing when I was a kid, became a comfort when I had to be in hospitals as an adult, and is now a very well-travelled, well-educated pocket-sized teddy. Just right for squeezing when I get scared, so that my tension goes into my fist (and poor Bear) rather than whatever other body part a doctor or nurse may be trying to work on. Works surprisingly well, and is a nice topic of conversation to distract during other unpleasant procedures like blood draws, too. If you're not opposed to small furry comforts, a teddy or stress ball or fidget toy might be handy to occupy the hand and the mind. (My Bear was initially a tiny Girl Scout souvenir bear, so now all my Scouts bring their own travel stuffies along with them when go on adventures, too ... I'm contagious... but it sure helps when you need one!)

Come to think of it, I'd add the anti-anxiety to a dose of Benadryl (if you weren't given orders to avoid antihistamines) ... those two should calm you down reasonably well, and take a back up driver just in case. Sleepy helps quell anxiety, truly. And if you want details on what meds I'm on, feel free to send a private message, though your doctor would know what's best for you based on history and allergies and things.

Surgery 5/31/13
Tongue lesion, right side
SCC, HPV+, poorly differentiated
T1N0 based on biopsy and scan
Selective neck dissection 8/27/13, clear nodes
12/2/13 follow-up with concerns
12/3/13 biopsy, surgery, cancer returned
1/8/14 Port installed
PEG installed
Chemo and rads
2/14/14 halfway through carboplatin/taxotere and rads
March '14, Tx done, port out w/ complications, PEG out in June
2017: probable trigeminal neuralgia
Fall 2017: HBOT
Jan 18: oral surgery
ngerecitano #197781 01-11-2019 07:32 AM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi!

Trying to get used to this new format on my iPhone, but here it goes. The medication part sounds good, but if all else fails, what about a scope by your ENT under sedation? If there is anything suspicious they can take a biopsy, even if there isn’t, they can take a biopsy of the affected area?

I see a gastro doctor too, who did scopes also under sedation, due to acid reflux, difficulty swallowing. He did throat dilations, and a biopsy. He found out I had Barrets esophogus, a more severe form of acid reflux, so I take medication for that.

Good luck with everything.

10/09 T1N2bM0 Tonsil
11/09 Taxo Cisp 5-FU, 6 Months Hosp
01/11 35 IMRT 70Gy 7 Wks
06/11 30 HBO
08/11 RND PNI
06/12 SND PNI LVI
08/12 RND Pec Flap IORT 12 Gy
10/12 25 IMRT 50Gy 6 Wks Taxo Erbitux
10/13 SND
10/13 TBO/Angiograph
10/13 RND Carotid Remove IORT 10Gy PNI
12/13 25 Protons 50Gy 6 Wks Carbo
11/14 All Teeth Extract 30 HBO
03/15 Sequestromy Buccal Flap ORN
09/16 Mandibulectomy Fib Flap Sternotomy
04/17 Regraft hypergranulation Donor Site
06/17 Heart Attack Stent
02/19 Finally Cancer Free Took 10 yrs

KristenS #197784 01-11-2019 05:01 PM
OP Offline

Thank you so much for the detailed response! I have a small stuffed sloth that I might try to bring to the follow up appointment with me. They're going to retry the scope in 2 weeks. I've never had any cognitive therapy and I won't have time to even meet with a therapist before the next appointment.

They did use a bunch of the numbing spray and I definitely had it all go the right direction. My throat was numb for quite some time after I left the office.

I'm hoping the next visit goes better so I don't have to get booked for a surgery to do the scope.

-ngerecitano
PaulB #197785 01-11-2019 05:06 PM
OP Offline

Thanks for the response! There is an option for sedation for the first scope, but the doctor said she couldn't book me for a surgery every two months to get the scopings done.

I've had a bunch of the endoscopies growing up. I also have Barrett's Esophagus. Endoscopies are way better than the nasal scopes!

-ngerecitano

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users