Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Barry, you handed me my soapbox with your reference to the 5 year survival rate and recurrence rate. So here goes, (with apologies to Michael who got this lecture recently).

I was a math major in a long past life and the area of statistics was of particular interest. I can make them say anything anyone wants.

Each of us is a particular set of circumstances that is unlike those of any other person. We are only our own statistic! If we seek appropriate treatment in an appropriate time frame, if we follow all recommendations, if we have a positive attitude and faith and the expectation that we will survive, odds are good that we will.

The oft-quoted statistics include those non-compliant patients who continue to smoke and chew and drink, the people who went in with other serious disease like heart or cirrosis or diabetes, or just very advanced age. Also those who have chosen alternative and unproven treatments outside recommended mainstream procedures, and those who do not complete standard recommended treatment. All of this has absolutely nothing to do with most of us.

The odds are not good, but I might be run over by a bus tomorrow. The key here, and this is VERY important, is that nobody can see into the future.

What I did, and what I advocate, is to do the research, make a decision, then throw yourself into it with the idea that you have done tough things before and you can to this too. I found that it was not nearly as bad as I had steeled myself to accept, which is the way with a lot of things in life.

More than three years ago I devoted six months to surgery, chemo and radiation for stage 4 SCC. Today, and for a long time, I have felt terrific. Life has returned absolutely to normal, as I expected it would.

Never forget that this cancer, unlike the prostate cancer, is wicked and evil and will not go quietly or easily. In my case, surgery was a given as was rad, but I opted for chemo too, figuring throwing everything at it was the best way to fight. So far, so good.

Also remember that people post here with problems. There are many who do not experience all the side effects, or the intensity of those described here. It was reading some pretty scary things that got me all toughened and prepared to take whatever horrible thing I had to, and then I found that even with my extensive treatment, it was kind of a cake walk compared to many of the things suffered by people on this forum.

Bottom line, you are unique and you cannot apply any statistics you read to your chances of living to a ripe old age. To borrow the Home Depot slogan: You can do this. We can help.

(Stepping down from soapbox).

Joanna

P.S. to Kris, my take on it was sharp knives, evil death rays, and poison (grin).

"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hello Barry

Sorry you have to go through the oral cancer treatment. There are many long-term survivors here who will offer support to you.

I had cancer of a tonsil remnant also, removed aged 4. I'm doing well now and am grateful to my doctors. I had surgery and radiotherapy, elected not to have chemo because I don't react well to many drugs. So far, so good.

Barry, let us know how you are getting on. You now have a large team of supporters on your side!

Love and light from Helen

RHTonsil SCC Stage IV tx completed May 03
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Barry, my father and I felt the same way when he was diagnosed. Hopeless, frightened, weak. Thankfully that special something kicks you in to fight mode-while it is scary and awful-it is NOT a DEATH Sentence! Please be strong! My father has finished week 2 of radiation and 1 dose of chemo. His tumor is getting smaller already! We are elated. Yes, there is that looming fear but you have got to take on the challenge of living in the moment. You and your wife can DO THIS!! Bulk up, start eating and hydrating! If you haven't already, go to Lance's site. Bless you and your family.

Dad Treated for T2N1M0 Tonsil Cancer August 2005. 35 IMRT radiation, 3 doses Cisplatin. Selective Modified Neck Dissection November.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndlors01, Kval, iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina
13,107 Registered Users
Forum Statistics