Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#17214 03-23-2005 12:19 PM
Deb Offline OP
OP Offline

My husband was just diagnosed with oral cancer - 1 week ago. We are still in the testing stage to see if any nodes are involved. ENT said it is T-1 maybe T-2. The tumor is on the floor of his mouth at the base of his tongue. His dentist found it during a routine cleaning. What can I do to help him? Better yet, what shouldn't I do?

Please make suggestions. Thank you all.

Debbie C

Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Debbie,

The best thing my wife did for me was accompany me to all of my tests and appointments. Sometimes the results, medical details and future appointment dates come at you so fast, it helps to have a second person there to take notes. It's also nice to have someone to talk to on the drives back and forth and in the waiting rooms. Your presence alone should help him.

Stage I diagnosed 9/18/2000

Dave
Deb Offline OP
OP Offline

Dave,

Thank you.

Debbie

"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Debbie,

Here is what I did. It helped quite a bit.

Get a notebook, like Dave said, take lots of notes. Write down everything. If the doc is going too fast, ask him to slow down so you get everything. I taped all of the docs cards in the front cover of the notebook so I would have all their phone numbers in one place.

Don't be afraid of second opinions. They are good to have.

Push the docs for all test results. Don't let them tell you it will be a week or so.

We went through 2 months of that before we went to a different doctor and found out the results in 4 days.

Read the past posts here on the website. I found most of the weapons I have needed in this fight here on this website. These folks are incredible.

Mostly the best thing you can do is make the committment to see this thing through and stick to it. It will get more difficult to do as you move through the process. We are at the hardest it has been so far right now and I have struggled everyday with how to help my husband.

What I have found is that this battle will take the both of you together to weather.

And what Dave said was very important. Go to all of the doctor's appointments. Don't be afraid to ask questions. And don't forget to write down the answers.

Make a list of questions before you go. Sometimes they are pumping so much information into you that you will forget to ask that one question you really needed to know.

Take things one step at a time. There are going to be many things you will learn as you go and if you have any questions that you just can't find an answer to, ask it here.

You are likely to get many good answers.

I hope this helps a little.

Cindy

Caregiver to ex-husband Harry. Dx 12/10/04 SCC stg 3, BOT with 2 nodes left side. No surg/chemo x4 /rad.x37(rad comp. 03/29/05)Cisplatin/5FU(comp. 05/07/05)-T1N2M0-(cancer free 06/14/05)-(12/10/06) 2 yr. Survivor!!!
Deb Offline OP
OP Offline

Cindy,

His doctor is talking about doing surgery in 2 weeks. This has been a whirlwind. My husband is retired but I still work full time. Thank God - I have a wonderful boss. I can have all the time off that I need. We saw him on Monday and go back for a CT on Easter Monday. The ENT said he will schedule surgery the following week. David, my husband is still in shock so I'm trying to do a rapid education. This site has already helped.

Thank you, I will follow both the recommendation Dave made and your suggestions. I've already started a notebook and have two pages of questions ready to ask.

Debbie

Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Debbie,

I am really sorry to hear the news of your husband. In many ways, your job will be the toughest. Cindy is just a step ahead of you and I am sure she can coach you along. The whirlwind you mention will not let up for a while. Are you buys going to a comprehensive cancer center? It is important to keep things moving but also worth finding the absolute best possible care as you may only get one chance at battling this beast. Don't feel you have to rush into something until you have confidence you are taking the best course possible. Know your options, arm yourself with knowledge. This site has about everything you need to know or a way to find it.

Wishing you the best.

Ed

SCC Stage IV, BOT, T2N2bM0
Cisplatin/5FU x 3, 40 days radiation
Diagnosis 07/21/03 tx completed 10/08/03
Post Radiation Lower Motor Neuron Syndrome 3/08.
Cervical Spinal Stenosis 01/11
Cervical Myelitis 09/12
Thoracic Paraplegia 10/12
Dysautonomia 11/12
Hospice care 09/12-01/13.
COPD 01/14
Intermittent CHF 6/15
Feeding tube NPO 03/16
VFI 12/2016
ORN 12/2017
Cardiac Event 06/2018
Bilateral VFI 01/2021
Thoracotomy Bilobectomy 01/2022
Bilateral VFI 05/2022
Total Laryngectomy 01/2023

Debbie,

I have to second what Ed said about making sure your husband gets to a major cancer center. This disease can become aggressive, and it typically needs to be attacked at the first opportunity using the best possible resources. You should not feel pressured to push ahead with surgery in two weeks -- it's more important to get the input of an experienced head and neck cancer team to help formulate the appropriate treatment plan and hopefully only have to fight this battle once.

Cathy

Tongue SCC (T2M0N0), poorly differentiated, diagnosed 3/89, partial glossectomy and neck dissection 4/89, radiation from early June to late August 1989
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hi Debbie,
Cindy did an awesome job answering your questions, good for you Cindy.
I think the best thing my husband did for me when I was diagnosed was to NOT treat me like I was sick. When asked what he did that was best for me that is what always comes to mind. I remember a few times after treatment that he very bluntly told me to stop acting like I was dying. Don't get me wrong, he wasn't being cruel, he was telling me what I needed to hear rather then baby me. He is like that to this day. As far as he is concerned I am cured and will never be bothered by cancer again.
I hope this helps.
Minnie

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.

Hello Debbie,

I also second what Ed said about getting a second opinion at a MAJOR HEAD& NECK CANCER CENTER!!
You want a team of different doctors reviewing all his scans and tests to determine the best treatment for HIM! You want to throw everything at this the first time. Follow the sound advice about taking notes and writing your questions down ahead of time. You never remember them all at the appointment.
Please keep us posted and keep asking questions here. Someone always seems to have a similer experience during treatment. Knowledge will empower you to be his advocate and ask the right questions. Hope all goes well and you beat the beast to death the first go around.

Can someonre post the list of Major Cancer centers near North Carolina?

Danny Boy

Daniel Bogan DX 7/16/03 Right tonsil,SCC T4NOMO. right side neck disection, IMRT Radiation x 33.

Recurrance in June 05 in right tonsil area. Now receiving palliative chemo (Erbitux) starting 3/9/06

Our good friend and loved member of the forum has passed away RIP Dannyboy 7-16-2006

Debbie, Try to take a deep breath every time this becomes overwhelming. You are in a new world now, filled with plenty of scary things and a vocabulary of "ten dollar" words. We will be here for your questions and generally to support you in this journey.

Take care

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,916
Newest Members
cokecolagrannie, RiverChuck, Txteacher, UTFN57, Lexlie
13,186 Registered Users
Forum Statistics