Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline

I was just wondering. I know it's never a good time to get cancer, but why does it have to happen while I'm starting my new graduate school program? It's bad enough I have to go through these horrid treatments, now I have to figure out whether I have to postpone school for another year (which I've already done), or try to slog through it. But, anyways, is it possible to hold down a job or go through school while going through TX? Has anyone done it? What would you guys recommend? I can try and work with my professors to see what they say as well.

Last edited by ChristineB; 09-09-2013 10:46 AM.

Been misdiagnosed several times since Nov. 2012.
Sep/9/2013 - Recently diagnosed with SCC in right cervical node, with possible multiple metastatic nodes.
Trying to get into Stanford CC.
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

You will hear this phrase over and over during and after your treatments..... Everyone is different and will respond in their own way to things. This is especially true when asking about things like how you will fare thru your treatments. Hopefully you will be one of the lucky ones who sails right thru everything barely noticing the side effects. You sound like you are young which is to your advantage at getting thru this easier.

Most of us were not able to work (or drive) during treatments. A few were able to handle jobs where they were not physical, office type things. But even those who did manage to work usually they had to cut back to only working part time.

As far as school goes, that is another story. Your classes probably require lots of concentration which you may not have when going thru treatments and recovery. There really is such a thing as "chemo brain" which makes it difficult to handle technical or complex thinking. You can read the same paragraph 3 times and not understand what the meaning is when you are going thru everything. Grades will also have a long life of their own and one bad grade can wreck havoc on your GPA. If I had to give you a guess, I would suggest taking off from school for the period of time you are being treated and about 5 or 6 weeks afterwards. Recovery can take a very long time, maybe 2 years for a complete recovery. Most of us were much better after about 6 weeks post treatment.

Hope this was a help. Wishing you all the best with everything!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

I would second the taking a break thing if at all possible. I work as a writer and so need my concentration skills intact. Even just having rads (as if that isn't enough) with no chemo, I found I had to stop working a few weeks in. I physically couldn't sit at the computer for more than 10 minutes, let alone do any meaningful work.

Anyway, food for thought. Your body may of course react entirely differently. Keep us posted and ask all the questions you can think of. Welcome to the OCF family.

David 2
SCC of occult origin 1/09 (age 55)| Stage III TXN1M0 | HPV 16+, non-smoker, moderate drinker | Modified radical neck dissection 3/09 | 31 days IMRT finished 6/09 | Hit 14 years all clear in 6/23 | Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome kicked in a few years after treatment and has been progressing since | Prostate cancer diagnosis 10/18
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

I would recommend putting school off for a year. You may feel good for few weeks and then you lose concentration and judgment. I worked full time the first few weeks. I became a zombie week two and did not trust myself. Better safe than sorry in my opinion. Also pain meds will affect your life and outlook.

Age 55 HPV 16+ SCC, BOT 050613 Stage IV
great team at OSU
Tx 6 weeks of rad started June 3
8 weeks of chemo started May 28
RTOG Phase III trial Cetuximab group.
Treatment completed 7/16/2013
PET Scan completed 10/08/13
Results discussed 10/11/13
NED - Free but am I
Next part of the journey?
1year PET 10/24/14 NED
Good reports now 10 years out.
OP Offline

Damn, I did not want to hear these things. It's bad enough that I took a few years off of work to change careers by going back to school (I'm nearly 40), but taking another year or two off for cancer treatments. It's just not fair.

Well, I THINK I will try to finish at least this semester since we're already a quarter of the way through. But, if the chemo is really bad, I don't know. The schooling, so far, has been quite easy. I think I could literally do it with half a brain.

But, please, keep the stories coming. I need more advice. Also, one other thing. I may need a bilateral neck dissection. I have multiple hard lymph nodes. How long will recovery from that typically be? I don't know how I will show up in school with Frankenstein stitches up and down my neck.

Been misdiagnosed several times since Nov. 2012.
Sep/9/2013 - Recently diagnosed with SCC in right cervical node, with possible multiple metastatic nodes.
Trying to get into Stanford CC.

Whoa! A year or 2 off? That sounds a bit excessive. I would have to guess and say you might need a 5 or 6 month delay, at the most one year but I would doubt you would need 2 years of a delay. Im sorry if I confused you with my previous post stating a complete recovery can take your body a full 2 years. That does not mean that at 3 or even 6 months post treatment that you wont be feeling pretty good; it means you will still see some more improvements all the way until about the 2 year mark.

Its not as bad as you are expecting. Do some reading both here and on the main OCF pages to help educate yourself. You want to be an informed patient who can advocate for yourself and easily navigate thru all the medical jargon when the time comes.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi,
My husband got through his therapy about as well as possible, taking about a week and a half off completely, and working somewhat less than a full schedule for maybe three weeks. However, his chemo was not platinum-based, and did not cause the fogginess that cisplatin or carboplatin generate in some people.

If you are determined to complete this semester talk to your academic counselor first and find out what your options are for dropping one or more courses if you need to. Also talk to your profs - ask about late submissions, making up tests, and so on. Finally, do you have friends that can take class notes for you?

I don't think doing grad school in the middle of treatments is necessarily the best idea, but if you do decide to, make darn sure you have all your ducks in a row and a REALLY good support team.

Another issue is the possibility of infection with a weakened immune system - maybe you don't want to be sitting in classes when cold and flu season starts. sick

About the stitches - they are probably the least of your worries.

Best wishes whatever your decision.

Maria

CG to husband - SCC Tonsil T1N2M0 HPV+ Never Smoker
First symptoms 7/2010, DX 12/2010
TX 40 IRMT (1.8 gy) + 10 Cetuximab
PET Scans 6/2011 + 3/2012 clear, 5 year physical exam clear; chest CT's clear of cancer. On thyroid pills. Life is good.

Are you having chemo? That can lower your immune system, and being around people, public places, can increase the risk of infections, which can be deafly in some cases, be worse than the treatment itself, delay or stopping it too. so limited exposure and precautions should be taken. Good luck.

10/09 T1N2bM0 Tonsil
11/09 Taxo Cisp 5-FU, 6 Months Hosp
01/11 35 IMRT 70Gy 7 Wks
06/11 30 HBO
08/11 RND PNI
06/12 SND PNI LVI
08/12 RND Pec Flap IORT 12 Gy
10/12 25 IMRT 50Gy 6 Wks Taxo Erbitux
10/13 SND
10/13 TBO/Angiograph
10/13 RND Carotid Remove IORT 10Gy PNI
12/13 25 Protons 50Gy 6 Wks Carbo
11/14 All Teeth Extract 30 HBO
03/15 Sequestromy Buccal Flap ORN
09/16 Mandibulectomy Fib Flap Sternotomy
04/17 Regraft hypergranulation Donor Site
06/17 Heart Attack Stent
02/19 Finally Cancer Free Took 10 yrs

Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

When does this quarter finish?

First off you don't really have a complete diagnosis as far as I can see therefore no one has even suggested a treatment plan so you may be able to finish this qtr but IMO there is NO WAY you should attempt to take courses during what I imagine your Tx will be, concurrent radiation and chemo. IF that's what you end up doing then for most of us we have 7 weeks of a rough time (from the 4th week of Tx till the 3rd week post Tx). Even after we walk out of that dark Tx tunnel (around the 3rd week post Tx) most of us are weak as a kitten for a few months so I can't see you being able to benefit from trying to educate yourself during this time.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

[quote=undiagnosed]I was just wondering. I know it's never a good time to get cancer, but why does it have to happen while I'm starting my new graduate school program? It's bad enough I have to go through these horrid treatments, now I have to figure out whether I have to postpone school for another year (which I've already done), or try to slog through it. But, anyways, is it possible to hold down a job or go through school while going through TX? Has anyone done it? What would you guys recommend? I can try and work with my professors to see what they say as well.

[/quote] [quote=undiagnosed]I was just wondering. I know it's never a good time to get cancer, but why does it have to happen while I'm starting my new graduate school program? It's bad enough I have to go through these horrid treatments, now I have to figure out whether I have to postpone school for another year (which I've already done), or try to slog through it. But, anyways, is it possible to hold down a job or go through school while going through TX? Has anyone done it? What would you guys recommend? I can try and work with my professors to see what they say as well.

[/quote] [quote=undiagnosed]I was just wondering. I know it's never a good time to get cancer, but why does it have to happen while I'm starting my new graduate school program? It's bad enough I have to go through these horrid treatments, now I have to figure out whether I have to postpone school for another year (which I've already done), or try to slog through it. But, anyways, is it possible to hold down a job or go through school while going through TX? Has anyone done it? What would you guys recommend? I can try and work with my professors to see what they say as well.

[/quote] I, like you was diagnosed at a really inconvenient time. I was a full time preschool teacher and in a musical ( I do a lot of theater). I worked for about 3 weeks during treatment then one day got really pale and faint and started vomiting and I didn't see my job again for 6 months. I had no energy and was steadily losing the ability to eat normally and then for 5 months after treatment I could only force boost shakes with added fat.
But everyone is different. A phrase, like someone else said, you're going to hear over and over again. I was considered an anomaly. I was the first patient my very experienced oncologist had seen who took so long to recover. I had really awful Micositis and was bed ridden. Towards the end before I inadvertently found out I didn't need to hold the magic mouth wash in my mouth all day by a small accidental overdose on pain meds (I was on so many and so high in the sky I couldn't remember if I had taken them or not) I looked like an anorexia patient.
But I've spoken to people who worked right thru the whole thing.
I'm still recovering a year later. I can eat way more normally than I could in the beginning but they're are still those foods I take a risk on and injure my tongue or my mouth feels like I coated it in gasoline and lit a match.
My personal advice would be to just put everything on hold until you're into the treatment for a while and know what you have to work with.
When I wasn't going mental I utilized my time to do thing my full time job and theater wouldn't allow me to do.

Large sore on right side tongue. Had for 3 mos. biopsied came back stage 2 well differentiated tongue cancer. Partial tongue removal and neck disect. On feb142012. Rads for 6weeks finished in June. Couldn't speak or eat for 5 months. Clear pet scan dec 2012. Former smoker hpv- 27male. Recent ENT visit said "as far as I can tell you're cured" 💗
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Kval, iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel
13,106 Registered Users
Forum Statistics