Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2

I remember thinking of the pain this way. If that treatment is hurting me then it is also hurting the cancer and you have to keep your eye on the prize. I got 19 cancer free years after radiation treatment. Let that stuff continue to beat the crap out of that cancer while you make yourself as comfortable as possible during the process. Don't be stingy with the pain meds. If what the doc tells you to take doesn't do the trick then call him up and ask to be able to take more or something else. Torodol might also be an option you can discuss with your doc.

In 1994 I found a 3cm tumor on my right tonsil. After 3 rounds of chemo, I underwent a radical neck dissection with a peck flap. I had a reoccurance which required twice a day radiation treatments and then had 19 years cancer free. I then found a very small tumor on my right tonsil. It was removed. Then I found a 1 cm mass near the base of my tongue on the left side. I had two partial glossectomys with bad margins and then then underwent Brachytherapy.

During and after my radiation treatments I found that Almond milk was the one thing I could swallow without having pain and was actually soothing. I recommended it to my brother-in-law who had gone through chemo & radiation and he also found it helpful. You may want to give it a try perhaps you too will find it soothing. It does take some time to recover and for each individual the time frame is different but you will get better so hang in there!
Best of Luck to you!

Meli Offline OP
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Thanks everyone for your kind and encouraging words. It's been 1 month today since rad treatments finished and I think I am slowly starting to improve now. Still in pain but being managed quite well with meds. Eating is still ridiculous and I've lost quite a bit of weight but I'm trying to shovel food in whenever I can. I can notice a slight improvement in the pain so hopefully this is the start of the real recovery. Just gotta take each day as it comes and be thankful for the little things - like being able to taste flavours again. I'll get there but my gosh do I wish it would hurry up.

39yr old female, DX BOT SCC Stage IVA (T1N2bM0) HPV+
28 May 13 - Pharangoscopy & tongue biopsy
29 May 13 - BOT Surgery & right ND (lvls 2-5)
31 May 13 - Hemorrhage, emergency trach, critical care
BOT clr mgns, 9/67 nodes & extracapsular extension
Finished chemo (cisplatin) & 30 rads
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

what I did was ask for a increase in my pain meds. there is no reason that we with OC should have to deal with pain. it is a issue of quality of life. I now apply pain patches with feyntenal in them every 72 hours this has helped me.. And it really sounds like it will help you too. shawn u.

. Radio/Erbitex:(35/6.) .6/13 RSSC with met.to left neck.9/11/13 MND with left tonsil removal.9/18/13 margins failed, .Dx Terminal. 10/22/13 Dx.StageIII Lymphedema. Carboplatin/Taxol, cancer progression,WECF
3/14/2014 given 2 weeks, 3 maybe. All the veins in my head are slowly leakinging due to Ehlers Danlos syndrome. lucky thing is that my spinal fluid leaking out my nose is slowing the build up of pressure in my huge, huge head. you would not believe.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics