Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

[quote=Mamacita]
Andrew, exactly so -- Info from the surgery and further biopsy would determine whether chemo's needed. I hadn't heard that it's best to go with no more than two treatment types. Do you know why? I will find out the radiation dosages as you suggest. I was biopsied but don't know my HPV status yet and haven't been fully staged. How are you feeling, two months post-treatment?
[/quote]

My doctors just recommended trying to stick to a maximum of 2 treatment modalities based on the cumulative side effects. Each of the treatments has different long term side effects and its better to have less of those. Their view of the severity of long term side effects from least severe to most severe was surgery, chemo and radiation. They also told me there is not a survival advantage for having surgery and then radiation vs chemoradiation. For me, they were able to do a PET/CT and the surgeon determined that there was a decent chance that he would not get clean margins on the tonsillectomy. Therefore, if I opted for surgery, there was a decent chance I would need chemo as well.

I think I'm doing really well all things considered but everyone recovers at a different pace. I'm now 13 weeks out of treatment. My first PET is today (fingers crossed), which is why I'm home and able to post. I eat most things and am back to a normal diet. Taste is pretty decent, but fades sometimes with sweet foods. Acidic food is sometimes hard, but a lot of things have been getting better. I can eat pickles, tomatoes and mild salsa (although it feels like picante) which I coudln't eat earlier. I can eat sandwiches and bread (with drinks to accompany it), although its not my favorite food to eat anymore. I guess dry mouth isn't as terrible as I imagined for me, but I still hope for significant improvement. I'm back at work 10-12hrs a day, playing basketball, traveling and back to biking.

Andrew
age 25

early 10/12 - enlarged lymph node area
01/13 SCC of L tonsil, L BOT, 2 L lymph nodes
stage IVa, T2N2bM0, HPV+

2/13 2 doses cisplatin big bag, 2 doses weekly cisplatin + 35x IMRT
4/13 TX finished
7/13 PET/CT - NED!
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Im very sorry for your OC diagnosis! I was hoping you would be negative and not need our group. Since you will be sticking around for a while, we will be here to support you thru this.

Best thing to do is to start making a list, write down every single person who has offered their help to you. Take down their name and number, let them know when the time comes you will let them know what they can do. Even the small things like doing a couple loads of laundry or cooking your family a homemade dinner will be helpful when you arent feeling well.

Im glad to see you are being treated at a CCC. Will you be getting a second opinion at another CCC?

Hang in there! You will get thru this. We will be right in your corner rooting you on the whole way.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile

i am currently being treated at uw madison--i had surgery -base of tongue resection by robot and selective neck dissection on may 10 --i was back at work may 20--surgery went well with no complications--i started 60 gy of radiation(30 sessions)(no chemo) on june 27(was suppose to start june 25 but machine was broke)--5 treatments in and have experienced typical side effects for this point of treatment of fatigue(mild) and loss of taste--i live and work in madison so i drive myself to treatment--leaving work in an hour for sixth rad--i am not good with these boards but if you want to talk directly, i am sure we can figure out a way

T - 55 yrs old
BOT - right lymph node
T1N2AM0, Stage 4, SCC HPV+
Diagnosed: 4/23/13
Surgery 5/10/13, ND, BOT lesion removed
Pathology report: 23 nodes taken, no cancer; clear margins; no extracap
Treatment recomm: Radiation only - 30 sessions, lower dose of 60gy to start in approx a week.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users