Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

Thank you for taking all the comments in good spirit. Sometimes, a cascade of theses kind of replies can be misconstrued as an attack for even asking the question. But I think that everyone just wants the best information out there so people can make good science based decisions.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
OP Offline

Brian - There is no other way to take the comments except in good spirit. I've been with OCF long enough to know the heart and altruistic nature of those who come here to help and support each other. You have no idea how grateful I am and how much I appreciate what you have done for me and everyone who has found OCF. I have been trying to gather info for a friend so that she can have some really accurate info supporting the Gardasil shots and as you mentioned "make a good science based decisions". In addition to the HPV and Gardisal links from OCF which I am forwarding to her, I've also checked Quackwatch, FDA, CFR, Skeptoid, forthesakeofscience.com, innovation.org, who all refute claims by the anti-vax groups. The Quackwatch has some really great articles on "25 ways to Spot Quacks and Vitamin Pushers" and "More Ploys that can Fool You". Thank you for all you do for us.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

Senior Member (100+ posts)

There is no risk-free path in life, and I say this as the parent of a child who developed epilepsy 5 days after a MMR. Our high school son, with our help, weighed all of the available information and decided to take Gardasil. For our family the benefits outweighed the risks. That said, we do what we can to limit exposure that has no benefit, i.e. do not use aluminum pans (cast iron only) and do our best to eat organic, clean food.

wife/caregiver to Vince, dx 4/12 Stage IV BOT HPV+ SCC, poorly diff.; T4N2cMo; U of C; Clinical trial, Everolimus; 6 wks ind. chemo (Cetuximab, Cisplatin & Taxol), 50 x IMRT, 75 gy chemorad w/5FU, Hydrea & Taxol; 5 years out, thankfully still NED
OP Offline

Ana - How nice that you included your son in the research of information so that he could make the Gardasil decision. I agree that there is no risk-free path in life. All we can do is inform ourselves and learn everything we can so as to make informed and science-based decisions.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

[quote=Brian Hill] Look at Australia that has 73% of all their school age girls vaccinated with Gardasil without serous incident. The difference isn't that Australians are different biologically than Americans, it is that they do not have a huge anti vaccine crowd in their midst spreading pseudo science and innuendo. [/quote]
The New York Times' "Well" blog had a post yesterday about a new study in BMJ, a leading British medical journal, on the success of the HPV vaccine program in Australia.

Leslie

April 2006: Husband dx by dentist with leukoplakia on tongue. Oral surgeon's biopsy 4/28/06: Moderate dysplasia; pathology report warned of possible "skip effect." ENT's excisional biopsy (got it all) 5/31/06: SCC in situ/small bit superficially invasive. Early detection saves lives.
OP Offline

Thanks, Leslie! I made copies of both, the NY Times post and the BMJ study. There was also a link from the NY Times story about studies which counter the notion that the vaccine alters sexual behavior. Since I first posted, with the info from OCF and several other science-based sites, I've put together quite a collection of pro-Gardasil information. Just yesterday I sent an email to the "friend" I mentioned earlier that included a two-page attachment of all the important links for her to consider in making a decision. She and her daughter are very important to me and I cannot make decisions for anyone but myself. But, if I can provide correct medical information to counter what all the anti-vaccine people are spreading, I will feel better about perhaps helping someone to avoid what my son Paul went through in surviving his oral cancer. Thank you OCF and everyone who helped me do that!

Anne-Marie

Ok, I know there are folks who are relaying unscientific information, but I have to pop up here and say, that by labeling any one with a concern a "wing-nut", you run the risk of losing folks in the middle...the very people we need to listen to the solid information backing the need to protect children with this vaccine. Just saying, I think we're much better off to stay on the facts, and leave out anything that may evoke a purely emotional response.

wife/caregiver to Vince, dx 4/12 Stage IV BOT HPV+ SCC, poorly diff.; T4N2cMo; U of C; Clinical trial, Everolimus; 6 wks ind. chemo (Cetuximab, Cisplatin & Taxol), 50 x IMRT, 75 gy chemorad w/5FU, Hydrea & Taxol; 5 years out, thankfully still NED
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Ana, Im sorry. You are correct, I have edited out the phrase.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile

Slate also has a piece about the new BMJ study (with lots of links to add to your list, Anne-Marie!).

Leslie

April 2006: Husband dx by dentist with leukoplakia on tongue. Oral surgeon's biopsy 4/28/06: Moderate dysplasia; pathology report warned of possible "skip effect." ENT's excisional biopsy (got it all) 5/31/06: SCC in situ/small bit superficially invasive. Early detection saves lives.
OP Offline

Oh-Oh, Ana - you are so right! I used the term in question too, and it really does not help to alienate anyone. Christine - maybe you would want to edit out the one in my previous post as well?

And thanks, Leslie, for the Slate link. I have added it to my list which is getting to be quite extensive already.

Anne-Marie

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users