Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#16372 09-24-2004 03:55 AM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Tonya: Why not get ugly?? Too many times us women feel we have to be 'nice' and not express anger, frustration, etc. You don't have to name call or use profanity, but you can express anger at the doctor (to the doctor!!) and to his medical staff. If necessary, practice in front of the bathroom mirror, "I am very angry about this. You are dragging your feet! We want the records faxed today. I am very angry. My brother is very angry!" Practice saying it and, honestly, your brother will not get better care is you are a 'nice girl.' What is the old saying "Kick ass and take names?" Something like that.

Honest threats work too. By this I mean, you can ask the doctor's nurse/office assistant/physician's assistant/whomever, whether you need to call the state licensing board (or whomever licenses doctors in Texas) in ordr to get your brother's records released.

Also, the hospital he is in may have a patient rights ombudsmea. Ask if they do. Complain to them. Call Anderson & ask what you need to do when your brother's doctor is resisting forwarding the medical records.

My son, who is now grown, is handicapped and I learned, the hard way, how to advocate for him when people dragged their feet. With your brother & his family's permission, get confrontive & yes, threaten to call the licensing people or his hospital or the local medical association. It doesn't matter whether they are the 'right' agency to call. Somewhere, there is someone who might help. One of them might pick up the phone & call the doctor & say "Get going on this!" or they may tell you who to call. Make waves! FUSS!! Loudly!

And, the beauty of it is you don't have to get 'ugly' but make a scene, DEMAND help now! Tell the doctor to fax pertinent information TODAY. And, if he/she is resistant, call the state licensing board. They may not be the right people but they may be able to help.

Hey, another idea - call a local TV station that has a consumer helper and ask for help in getting your brother's medical records released.

And see if your state has an insurance/HMO ombudsmen and call them. Call anybody who offers help in a remotely related field.

MAKE A FUSS!! Get out your phone book or get online & look up the phone numbers/websites for licensing & HMO complaints, the local medical Assoc., etc. Also, when you call a number, write down the name of the person you speak to & call them by name. If they don't give you their name, ASK!!

Good luck - Candace

Sister to man w/base of tongue cancer, Dx 4/03, finished Tx 9/03. 12 clear exams

Sister of guy w/base of tongue cancer, Stage IV, Dx 4/03, finished Tx 9/03
#16373 09-24-2004 04:08 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Thanks for the useful info and encouragment. My brother asked his doctor again this morning to send the records and the doc said they should have already been sent and he would check on them and try to get them sent today. I told my brother if they were not sent by Monday, with his permission, I would take care of things with the doctors and get them sent and he said okay. So, just cross your fingers for us, maybe they will send them today and we will have one less battle to worry about and can get on with winning the war.
Tonya

Sister of 32 year-old oral cancer victim. Our battle is over but the war rages on. My brother passed July 26, 2005. He was a smokeless tobacco user.
#16374 09-24-2004 02:45 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Tonya,
Your husband can sign to get his own medical records or his wife can. Get them and send them yourselves. Kick his docs to the curb and get him taken to MD Anderson. Demand and demand loudly, his life depends on it.
Minnie

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.
#16375 09-28-2004 02:06 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

We heard from MD Anderson and they won't see him until his current treatment is completed - Chemo and all. So now we are playing the waiting game.
The good news is, if his blood work looks good Wednesday, my brother will be able to come home for a while. (He is 3 hours away right now). We are so looking forward to this, as is he.
Thanks again for all your concern and much needed advice.
Tonya

Sister of 32 year-old oral cancer victim. Our battle is over but the war rages on. My brother passed July 26, 2005. He was a smokeless tobacco user.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndlors01, Kval, iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina
13,107 Registered Users
Forum Statistics