Sloan is a top notch facility... definitely a good idea for a second opinion. Get copies of all your records and head there if you can. Also they radiate the tongue despite good margins because cancer is cellular. All it takes is one bad cell. Also when they are cutting they are working off of ct scans generally, so they are hoping they got it all - generally margins confirm this, but cancer can move. so they will cook your tongue and nodes. Tell them to hurry.. 4 weeks is better than 6 if there is residual cancer you want it taken care of now... particularly with nodes involved. I was very lucky as my first ENT sent int he referral to a Radiation oncologist, so I actually had an appointment with him the same day I met my new ENT (Surgical Oncologist) he told me to call him once the surgery was over and I was out of the hospital. I did this and saw him again the same day I had my follow up appointment with Surgical oncologist) both had talked both recommended radiation and chemo (despite saying they thought it a gray area, and were on the fence initially) So my surgical oncologist said it would likely be a 6 week wait for radiation, but the meeting I had with the radiation dr had me set up for my lessons, and fitting within a week and within two I had started. SO almost 4 weeks to the day of surgery.. I had started.

Time is always of the essence.

best of luck.
you'll get through it.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan