Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 13 1 2 11 12 13
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Hi Tina, Bart here. Wow! You're a fighter, that's for sure! You also seem to be able to take things in stride, an invaluable asset for someone dealing with this cancer business.

I've just discovered your thread and read all 12 pages, so forgive me if I don't recall exactly what it was you said, but you said something that leads me to believe that you either workout or do something else to keep fit. I'm a huge believer that those who are fit can handle this (or any similar) ordeal much better than the average person. (Part of this may also be genetic, but one can't do anything about that, while one definitely can do something about their fitness.)

I was also stage IV when diagnosed (I'm IVc now) and after initial treatments, was clear for 17 or 18 months before it showed up in my liver. My initial Chemo was the standard 3 applications, 3 weeks apart, while getting 8 weeks of chemo. Like you, I did not need a peg, although I did quit eating solid food for 90 days due to a number of factors, e'g., (temporary) loss of salivary production and (again temp, but total) loss of taste function. I lost 38 lbs, from a very solid 192 down to an emaciated 154 (I'm down to 5'9".)

During the time I was clear, I got my butt back to the gym in an effort to rebuild both my weight and fitness level. I was only moderately successful, but I did get back to 165.

When mine returned (to my liver), I was treated with Carboplatin and Taxol, and the taxol was replaced with Taxetere midway through due to additional hearing loss. However, since I did not have to have a mediport for this chemo cocktail, and I had resumed my regular weight lifting regimen as soon as I was cleared after the initial treatments, I did not interrupt my workout schedule again even while getting IV Chemo 3 weeks out of 4 for 6 or 7 months (I had a couple of longer breaks during the treatments.)

I got clear again, but it showed up in my liver in multiple locations on my first follow-up, my second reappearance. This one was treated with Xeloda, a pill form of 5FU, which I finished in late Feb this year. My next PET in on the 19th of this month.

As you might imagine, I much prefer the Xeloda to the other Chemo agents, mainly because it's so much easier to take and you never have a vein blow out, or get stuck 4 or 5 times because the plebotomist keeps running into a valve smile

My only complaint about any of the chemo agents (other than Cisplatin) is that they really suck the energy out of me. I've never missed a scheduled gym session due to chemo, but the chemo has caused me to cut reps, sometimes sets, and occasionally even entire exercises. But it's never made me feel sick (other than as noted, the Cisplatin.)

I strongly feel (and my MO agrees) that vigorous exercise helps metabolize the chemo and move it through and out of your system quickly enough that it minimizes the collateral damage it does to other tissue/organs.

I'm 74, by the way, so obviously; my excessive youth may be the explanation, if it's not the exercise... wink

My intro: http://oralcancersupport.org/forums/ubbt...3644#Post163644

09/09 - Dx OC Stg IV
10/09 - Chemo/3 Cisplatin, 40 rad
11/09 - PET CLEAN
07/11 - Dx Stage IV C. (Liver)
06/12 - PET CLEAN
09/12 - PET Dist Met (Liver)
04/13 - PET CLEAN
06/13 - PET Dist Met (Liver + 1 lymph node)
10/13 - PET - Xeloda ineffective
11/13 - Liver packed w/ SIRI-Spheres
02/14 - PET - Siri-Spheres effective, 4cm tumor in lymph-node
03/15 - Begin 15 Rads
03/24 - Final Rad! Woot!
7/27/14 Bart passed away. RIP!
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Tina,

Never feel "like a twit" for looking out for #1, that's you BTW. For my 1st 2 years post Tx I got petrified every time I sneezed, coughed and especially when I had a sore throat.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
tina77 Offline OP
"OCF Canuck"
OP Offline
"OCF Canuck"

Thanks all.

Wow, Bart you have been through the wringer. Yes, I have been pretty athletic my whole life (mostly sports as opposed to the gym). I am back playing baseball now, although my swing is not yet back to where it needs to be, it's coming along. I found, even more though, that being on the field with my team provides a sense of normalcy that was missing for a while, and which I think we all need. Cancer doesn't define me, it is something I dealt with, and to be frank, no-one on the diamond gives a shit as long as I make the play!

I'm also a textbook Type A personality, and utterly convinced that I can make anything happen with the force of my will. So far that has served me well!

Tina
Diag: Aug. 13/12
T3N0M0
50% + glossectomy and bilateral radical neck dissection, removal of nodes zones I - V
Surgery October 11/12
Chemo/rad on hold due to clear margins and nodes
Sept 21/13 clear CT with anomaly thought to be the artery, being watched closely.
Dec 16/13 - anomaly confirmed artery, all clear
nickname: "get 'r done"
Plans: kick cancer's butt

Hi Tina, Thanks for the kind words. You have exactly the right attitude to get you through this ordeal with the least problems, I admire your pluck, it will serve you well, and it's obvious that I don't need to preach to you! That makes me very happy, and happy for you! You go, Girl!

My intro: http://oralcancersupport.org/forums/ubbt...3644#Post163644

09/09 - Dx OC Stg IV
10/09 - Chemo/3 Cisplatin, 40 rad
11/09 - PET CLEAN
07/11 - Dx Stage IV C. (Liver)
06/12 - PET CLEAN
09/12 - PET Dist Met (Liver)
04/13 - PET CLEAN
06/13 - PET Dist Met (Liver + 1 lymph node)
10/13 - PET - Xeloda ineffective
11/13 - Liver packed w/ SIRI-Spheres
02/14 - PET - Siri-Spheres effective, 4cm tumor in lymph-node
03/15 - Begin 15 Rads
03/24 - Final Rad! Woot!
7/27/14 Bart passed away. RIP!
Page 13 of 13 1 2 11 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260