Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Lea Offline OP
"OCF Canuck"
OP Offline
"OCF Canuck"

It's been two months after the surgery and I can say my father is doing well. We had the results of the MRI last week and they confirmed that the cancer is still there. They have detected a new lump the size of 1cm x 1cm at the back of the base of the tongue. Initially he was only going to have radiation treatments. But with this new development we have no choice but to have chemo treatments administered as well. The drug to be used is Cisplatin. During the course of the 7 weeks of radiation he will have 3 chemo treatments. I was wondering if the side affects others have experience are as bad as "the list" provided by the doctors??? Are there any suggestions to ease the symptoms? He has a G-Tube for feeding so I'm hoping that his nutritional intake will not be affected. On Monday he will start radiation and on Wednesday he will have the 1st round of chemo. I've stocked up on club soda for rinsing. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

I would suggest your father eat everything he can now as his sense of taste will change for a while. Swallowing probably will become difficult too. He will need to have a full blood count done with thyroid and testosterone counts done. He should have already visited his dentist and had and questionable teeth removed and flouride trays made. Anyone who offers to help make sure you tell them when the time comes you will call them and write down their name and number. He will need a hearing test as well as cisplatin can cause high frequency hearing loss which is permanent.

Unfortunately yes, the side effect can be absolutely awful for some patients while others sail right thru. The main thing to watch is intake. His calories must be a minimum of 2500 and 48 oz of water every single day, no exceptions. Skimping one day and thinking the next day can play catch up wont work.

Talk with the doctor about alternatives to cisplatin if you have concerns. Others here have had carboplatin, 5-fu and Erbitux. As far as I know, cisplatin is the drug of choice. Many of us have it every 3 weeks in a large dose, it can also be given weekly a smaller more easily tolerated dose. Ask your fathers doc about this alternative.

PS.... Please add a signature to help us help you easier. Click on the "My Stuff" tab and on the drop down menu, click on "edit my profile". Scroll to the bottom and type in the white box then click submit.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Lea Offline OP
"OCF Canuck"
OP Offline
"OCF Canuck"

Thank you Christine - I will speak to his doctor about the option of administering 6 doses versus 3.

CG - Father, Age 63, Non-Smoker
May 2012 - Diagnosed Stage IV Tongue Cancer (Left Side)
July 2012 - Surgery (Removed: 70% of Tongue & 77 Lymph Nodes - 3 Affected; Flap Reconstructed; G-Tube)
August 2012 - Teeth Removed; MRI Scan: 1 New Affected Lymph Node
Sep-Nov 2012 - 35 x Rad & 2 x Cisplatin Chemo

Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Have they explained why they are recommending chemo concurrent with the radiation?

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Lea Offline OP
"OCF Canuck"
OP Offline
"OCF Canuck"

Yes, they describe it as 1 + 1 = 3 not 2 in this case. The result of the two combined is supposedly more effective than each on its own.

July 2012 - Surgery (Removed: 70% of Tongue & 77 Lymph Nodes - 3 Affected; Flap Reconstructed; G-Tube)

"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Hi there... if you're at PMH their protocol usually three large doses ask about the six though. And make sure they get the first one in early so he can have all three... particularly - because there is still a tumor there. Sometimes they start the chemo a week after and then if you have to miss a week due to a low wbc count then you will likely miss the last one. Which in this case is not something you want to do. Ask for him to have it the first week of rads.

As for the side effects I had the three big ones... only two of them and I was okay. A little nausea but my meds handled it for me. So it really was the easiest part of treatment. Now I am told that's unusual. Some people get super sick on it. It really depends on your body. I know he's already seen the hearing people and dental oncologist, or he should be soon. So other than reading up on what the rads side effects are and prepping for those (buy the glaxo base recommended... it is awesome cream and will help with radiation burns) tell him to eat up!!!! healthful foods and put protein mix in his formula if you can. hugs and good luck... What's his drs. name again?

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
Lea Offline OP
"OCF Canuck"
OP Offline
"OCF Canuck"

Hi Cheryl - thank you for your note. Can you please elaborate on "glaxo base"? Is this a cream for the face? Where can I buy it? Is this the full name?

Yes, the treatments will be at PMH
Dr. Irish - Surgeon
Dr. Bayley - Radiologist
Dr. Siu - Medical Onchologist

Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Chemo does not kill this cancer but does affect the cells so they die easier with the radiation. We are told chemo adds somewhere between 10 and 30% to the radiation's killing effect so it's really not 1+1=3, more like 1+1=2.something. Anyway I and many others had the 3 Big Bag method of cisplatin and for me and most it's not fun, especially bags 2 and 3. Within the past few years some treatment facilities have been administring the cis in 6 smaller bag weekly doses and those that have had that method seem to have less side effects than the 3 Big Bag method.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

My husband had the 6 smaller treatments. If it wasn't for the lymphedema and sleep apnea that I think is from the extra swelling since it came on almost overnight he would be doing great. Back to eating everything after going weeks without a bite and no dry mouth problems, doesn't need a water bottle as many. He wasn't really nauseated and didn't take much of the meds but did get sick maybe 10 times from choking up the gunk. For him the gunk was the worst side effect and he was happy the day he no longer needed a spit cup.

Husband diagnosed Oct '11 Cancer of the vocal cord Nov '11 removed right vocal cord. Neck Dissection, cancer in one node, .2, very small & contained) Jan '12 Radiation and Cisplatin, 6 doses. June '12 & Dec '12 clear Pet scan. April '13 Celebrating 1 year cancer free since treatment ended.
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Glaxal base is a cream they sell it at most pharmacies - PMH has it there by the tub... It's great! Good luck... Surprised dr. Irish didn't get all the cancer... He does some special technique where he can see it in real time. Good luck - with everything.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
menkuvsteph, Jenni W, CarlMN1962, Cubbies1990, Morgan
13,180 Registered Users