Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#1516 08-10-2003 08:12 AM

Hi and sorry to hear about your mother's experience. My father completed radiation therapy in May (35 treatments) for tonsil cancer and opted not to have the feeding tube. He is still unable to eat, due to throat pain and the horrible "metalic" taste that is present. He is currently trying to force down 4 Scandishakes ( a high calorie shake mix) a day --mixed with whole milk and ice cream. These take him a good hour to get down. He is also able to manage some broth. He has lost 30 some pounds to date and cannot stand to lose any more. He turned 71 last week.
Looking back to pre-radiation treatment, he had the option to have a tube placed, but chose not to , thinking that the side effects would lessen after completion. But unfortunately, they are still affecting him and he is miserable. He has a doctor's appt. this Tues. and they may recommend a tube, and he will probably go thru with it.

My advice is to discuss the option again with your mother. Things are going to get worse for her, before they turn around. It has been a horrible 4 months for my dad. I only wish we could have seen in the future, and maybe he would have opted for the tube at the get go! Prayers to you and your mother!

#1517 08-11-2003 06:58 AM

Didier,
I know how your Mom is feeling. I too was unable to eat due to intense pain in my mouth and throat at about week 3 of radiation. If it had not been for the lidocaine, I would have starved. I would hold it in my mouth for as long as I could (5-10 minutes) and then spit it out and drink an Ensure or two. It was not ideal, but that was my ONLY option and even then it was a struggle to force myself to do. If it wasn't for my husband constantly reminding me that I needed to look after myself and go on for him and my kids (5 & 13 at the time), I would have just not bothered. It lasted about 2 more months after my radiation treatments were over but it was all worth it. I have only read about the PEG tube on this forum, wish I had known or had the option. I am going for round 2 of surgery soon, no radiation this time but of course since I am losing another chunk of my tongue, I'm concerned about how much I will be able to chew and swallow this time (I'm kinda sick of the taste of Ensure after a diet of it for almost 5 months even if it was 2.5 years ago!)and wonder if a PEG tube would be something I should ask my Dr about for this. As some others mentioned, the need for nutrition and hydration is SO important for her right now. Good luck, my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Gail

Oct00 Stage4 SCC,rad neck dissection.Removal of 50% of tongue with forearm flap added.All nodes removed and clear.IMRTx30.New tumor stage 1, removed rest of tongue Aug 03. Still talking!
#1518 08-11-2003 04:48 PM

Didier,

I cannot imagine how I would have made it this far without a PEG tube. My doctors recommended one from the start and I'm glad I did. I had 4 weeks of chemo and 35 radiation to the neck. I lost 50 pounds. I went 8 or 9 weeks without eating anything. I couldn't even swallow water my tongue and throat were so sore and swollen. Ensure Plus 300 calories a can 9 a day put 15 pounds back on plus I was able to keep hydrated with the tube. I would suggest if possible to get a tube it is much easier. I can now eat a small amount but it takes a long time to chew long enough to swallow don't be in a hurry.

Good Luck

#1519 08-12-2003 01:52 PM
didier Offline OP
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Thanks everyone for your support. After spending last night in the ER due to dehydration, nausea, excruciating oral and neck pain, etc., I was able to talk her into getting a tube which is scheduled to be inserted this Thursday. She hasn't been able to eat solid food for about a week and hasn't been able to drink water or Boost due to the immense pain. Lidocaine and Morophine aren't doing the magic I wish it would, and continuous weight loss is yet another huge concern I have, so I am grateful that she has agreed to go ahead with the tube. Emotionally she is breaking down due to the pain, nausea and vomiting so I as scrambling to find the right meds that work best to manage all of this unpleasantness. I see what this is doing to her, and it's kicking the hell out of me not being able to kick this things ass. Its been a long day. I just got home from spending about 15 hours at the hospital and I don't know what I accomplished. I hate this feeling.

Mom's caregvr. DDS failed to dx 01/03. Dx Stg IV SCC 05/03. Induct. chemo, IMRT, 5FU, H, Iressa, Neck disect, radiation. Dad's caregvr. Dx 01/04 Ext. Stg SCLC. Mets to liver/bone 08/04. Died 11/12/04. Mom tongue CA dx 06/13, hemiglossectomy (80% removed) 08/13. Clean margins and nodes, but PNI. 6/15/15: Tongue CA at base of remnant tongue. Declined further tx; hospice.
Died 10/13/15. What a long and difficult journey.
#1520 08-12-2003 04:08 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Oh Didier, I know you are in a tough spot right now, but know it will get better. What you accomplished is to take care of your mother when she is unable to help herself, and that is no small thing. It is going to be a while yet until everything is easy, so please, please don't be hard on yourself. You are a good person doing an important and tough job. I cannot really see into the future, but based on my experience and that of many people on this forum, I am pretty sure that when your mother has the PEG and has become comfortable with it, your life and hers will suddenly be a lot better. So as trite as it sounds, hang in there!
Joanna

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users