Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawnP Offline OP
OP Offline

I am convinced that I have had oral HPV for 10 years. 10 years ago I went to an oral surgeon and told her my fears. I had a couple of gum irritations at that time which she biopsied. They came back negative. At that time she said that HPV contributed primarily to tonsillar cancers - I guess that was the information they had at that time.

I now have tiny warts in my cheeks. For those of you with HPV poitive cancers, did you have any symptoms like this or was the HPV invisible in your mouth?

I now have an enlarged submandibular lymph node that feels lik it is about the size of a grape. It has been there for 2 months and of course, now I am quite worried.

I have an appt with an ENT next.

Thank you for your help!

OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

Most of us had no visible things in our mouths. However a swollen node for that long a period of time really needs an answer as to why. Have him do a simple fine needle biopsy of it while you are there, not just give you a Rx for some antibiotic.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Dawn, I also presented with a grape-sized submandibular node. These can be many other things than cancer, remember - like a cyst (which is what they thought mine was). I had no warts or any other outward indication of HPV. In fact I don't think I've ever manifested any HPV symptoms at all, and I've probably had it all my adult life.

The ENT will do a find needle aspiration (FNA) of the lymph node and have it biopsied. It's no big deal, a little pinch. I know it's hard not to worry, but I was told that 80% or more of these things are benign. So take heart and let us know what he/she says.

David2

David 2
SCC of occult origin 1/09 (age 55)| Stage III TXN1M0 | HPV 16+, non-smoker, moderate drinker | Modified radical neck dissection 3/09 | 31 days IMRT finished 6/09 | Hit 14 years all clear in 6/23 | Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome kicked in a few years after treatment and has been progressing since | Prostate cancer diagnosis 10/18
DawnP Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you Brian and David. I wanted to thank you sooner but had some trouble logging in.

You are all heroes here. What a wonderful, supportive place you have created.

I saw the ENT today. He says the gland is soft and feels normal to him. It is the submandibular gland. He is going to see me again in three weeks and will send me for a CT if I am still worried. He did a full exam of my mouth and tonsils and said everything looks normal. He did not try to offer me an antibiotic.

So, this is good news. Next, I am going to see an oral surgeon and find out if I do have HPV and if so, what type so I know If I need take extra steps to detect oral cancer.

Thank you agin.

DawnP Offline OP
OP Offline

For those of you with HPV positive cancer - could you see it in your throat and if so, what did it look like?

I believe I have had oral HPV for many years. So, it worries me. Of late, I have had a sore throat and ear pain on one side that comes and goes. I looked in my throat and my right tonsil looks a lot different than my left(and different than it used to). It is a different shape and I see some flesh colored growths there. There are no ulcers or sores - just lumps and growths.

I also notice when I eat that tiny crumbs can "catch" on that side and bother me.

I do not feel any hard nodes in my neck.

I have an appointment with an ENT on Thursday but I am looking for your input anyway because I am quite concerned. I saw him a year ago but did not have these symptoms at that time.

Thank you for your input. You all are amazing and help others to get through an awful situation.

Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Hi Dawn, every situation is different. I had no visible signs on the tonsil. No soar throat, no ear problems, first sign was the lymph node. Drs checked a couple other possibilities before biopsying the tonsil, was a process of elimination.

Nov2011Tonsil Cancer Stage3 T1N1 HPV+, Non-smoker, slight drinker
Dec2011 Radical Tonsilectomy (TORS),
Jan2012 Neck Disection areas 2,3,4
Feb2012 Opinions from 5 RO's decision for No Rads/No Chemo
Jan2013 all clear at 1 year , continue regular check-ups
Jan2014 all clear at 2 years, less frequent check-ups
Jan2015 all clear at 3 years, MRI, chest x-ray, blood work all good
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Not sure what you mean when you say "I believe I have had oral HPV for many years"? If you did contract the virus orally then your body would have most likely cleared it and if it didn't then it would have infected the squamous cells and caused cancer which would have presented itself in much less time so it's most likely something else or perhaps a recent infection. Anyway it's best to do what you have done in getting that appt. Keep us posted.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
DawnP Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you both for taking the time to reply.

David -The thought that I would have gotten SCC much sooner if the virus was active all the time would be good news but so many people at diagnosed with this at about my age - 50. I mean most people probably contracted it much younger, right? Isn't it possible that it takes many years to develop?

Thanks and be well!

Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Jury is still out on that theory but the prevalent thinking is that we are infected over and over, each occurence being cleared, until one time when our immune system doesn't. Much is known about HPV but more is not.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
"OCF Down Under"
Gold Member (200+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
Gold Member (200+ posts)

David, does that mean that even if you have or have had HPV, being vaccinated would prevent a recurrence?

Brother 49yo DX 22/6/11 Tonsil SCC HPV+ Stage IV T4N1(?)M0. Carbo/docetaxel (Taxotere)19/7, 11/8 (with E-tux), 1/9; E-tux 11/8, 25/8, 15/9, 30/9, 14/10, 28/10; IMRT X 35 (70gy tumour;63gy nodes;56gy gen area) 19/9-4/11/11. Clear PET scan 1/2/12. 1 and 2 year post treatment checks good.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndlors01, Kval, iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina
13,107 Registered Users