Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

John,

No chemo?

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Senior Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline

No chemo. My radiation is just sort of an insurance policy. At least that's what the surgeon said

Taking a break from the forum for a while. Thank you so much for your support if you've been supportive.
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

I also had radiation only, no chemo. Yesterday was 4 weeks from my last day of RADS. The first 2 weeks I thought I had this thing in the bag but it hit me like a ton of bricks. Sores in my mouth, anything that came in contact with my tongue felt like a razor blade, loss of tastebuds except for chocolate, coffee and peanut butter. I lived off of oatmeal with calorie supplements and Chocolate ScandiShake that had 600 calories when mixed with whole milk. They were the only things I could get down. My saliva was so thick I couldn't even drink Ensure. My neck and lower mouth looked like one nasty sunburn and hurt like a 'rhymes with witch'! By this time it also hurt to swallow. I'll never forget the day I went in for treatment and burst into tears because I was in so much pain thinking I had to just endure this. Boy, did I feel silly when they told me I could take painkillers. I was not a happy camper in the least when I realized I was losing hair on the nape of my neck after growing it out for a whole year. I also lost my voice for 3-4 weeks which didn't really matter because it hurt so bad to talk anyway. I got a long weekend before my last week which they sprung on me, a "tongue boost" is how they referred to it. 4 weeks out and I'm finally really starting to taste again. I get sores in my mouth when I eat but they eventually go away in a few hours. But it's that "hurts so good" mentality because I was so hungry for so long, lost 25lbs and have only managed to gain 3 back so far. Anyway...that was just my experience. Everyone's different.

MissB

Female, 37 yrs old,Non-Smoker/Social Drinker, HPV-
T3 N1 M0 SCC Dx 11-10-11
11-23-11 Left Hemiglossectomy
11-30-11 Modified Radical Neck Dissection
01-25-12 Removed another spot on BOT, skin graft (left thigh)
38 RADS Tx Finished April 13, 2012
Fall 2014 - HBOT due to wisdom teeth extraction post radiation

Also, wearing my fluoride trays (sans the fluoride) during treatment helped with the sores I was getting on the side of my tongue.

MissB

Female, 37 yrs old,Non-Smoker/Social Drinker, HPV-
T3 N1 M0 SCC Dx 11-10-11
11-23-11 Left Hemiglossectomy
11-30-11 Modified Radical Neck Dissection
01-25-12 Removed another spot on BOT, skin graft (left thigh)
38 RADS Tx Finished April 13, 2012
Fall 2014 - HBOT due to wisdom teeth extraction post radiation
OP Offline

One thing I hear constantly but never explained in detail is the 3-4 weeks after.
Does it continue to get worse for 3-4 weeks after? Or are you at a stand still for 3-4 weeks before it starts healing? Or does it take 3-4 weeks from the last treatment to heal. I'm just so confused and would like to know what's coming.

Taking a break from the forum for a while. Thank you so much for your support if you've been supportive.
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Take a look at the above post from MissB, it tells what she went thru during the end of rads and the first couple weeks afterwards. This is what she experienced, everyone is different. It can take up to 2 full years to completely heal from radiation. Most patients are doing pretty good after 2 or 3 months post rads. Try not to worry about what could happen, focus on your nutrition and hydration. Bottom line is the better you do with your nutrition and hydration the easier everything will be for you.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
OP Offline

You can't not worry about what might happen. No disrespect but that is ludicrous. I was in pain, constant pain for 3 months before my surgery, then I was in worse constant pain after my surgery, then when I healed from that everything went backwards and I'm in constant pain again. All I can think about is when I'll be able to talk again without being in pain from moving my tongue, when I'll be able to sing again, if I'll be able to sing again. This whole process has done nothing but taken my life away little by slow and I just want to hear other people's experiences so I can be motivated to get my life back.

KP5 Offline
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Ok...I guess the way to say this is that what you are experiencing is completely normal, even the pissed off part. We have all been there and are telling you with much confidence that it will get worse before it gets better, but it does get better. You may very well get to a point where you cannot swallow for a bit so that could be tough without a PEG. On the other hand, Kevin had a PEG and hated it so forced himself to swallow through the pain. He would drink some Lortab, use his magic mouthwash and chug a couple of Ensures. And he drank water all day long in little sips. He drank at least 48 oz of water a day. I think it started to get better about 4 weeks out because I remember he ate Thanksgiving dinner, pie included. It was with drugs and didn't taste quite right, but he ate it. There were other times later that he had to go back to the Ensures for a bit.
I hope this helps a bit. It is just our experience, but I know of 2 other men whose wives I have become friends with that found sort of the same situation. That doesn't mean it fits everyone though.
Have you gotten checked for the yeast infection? It might be a pretty easy fix to part of your tongue issues, but you won't know if you don't get it swabbed.
Hang in there. Again, hope this helps a little.
Kathy

Kathy wife/caregiver to:
Kevin age:53
Dx 7/15/11
HPV16+ SCC Stage IV BOT/R
Non smoker, casual drinker
7/27/11 Cistplatin, taxotere,5FU 2/3week sessions, followed by IMRT 125cgy x 60 (2x daily) w/Erbitux weekly. Last rad 10/26/11. Last Erbitux 10/27/11
PEG placed 9/1/11 Removed 11/8/11
Clear PET 10/12 and 10/13 and ct in 6/14
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

John - what are you taking for pain now? Aside from pills?
I have been where you are.

Pain late 2009. Dx as change in altitude. Sore spot on tongue late 2010. Dx as irritation.
Leukoplakia Bx Feb 2011 - Lichen Planus.
Bx May 2011 - Hyperplasia. Same sample retested as SCC.
June 2011 Rt Hemigloss,ND,rff,33 Rads. Hosp for 15 days w/bi-lateral pneumonia.
T3N1M0 Stage IV.
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

John Christine is right - no one can tell you for sure as you're an individual and everyone heals differently and has a different experience - knowing what's to come is kind of impossible there are any number of things that can go down that will effect your healing so worrying about it is pointless because it may never happen or you may experience something none of us have ever had - though that's unlikely considering the collection of experiences here. mind you being informed doesn't hurt...
I personally had it easy..( and despite this it was no picnic) I was bad the last two days of radiation and over the weekend prior to the end of treatment - my radiation ended on a Tuesday - I hibernated took my pills and got through the rest of the week... Then I started to feel better. Very slowly. At one point swallowing and the post nasal drip felt like acid hitting the back of my throat, I remember a couple of weeks out cringing because I knew what was coming when I swallowed and miraculously it didn't hurt.
From that point it was all steady improvement... Though I'm a year out and spicy food still causes trauma as does anything acidic - and tomatoes only now are becoming friendly - and i dont di carbonated anything - and let me repeat - for as bad as it was, i was lucky! People get thrush, have chronic pain, permanent taste damage, tongue necrosis, osteo necrosis! Trismus, swallowing defects etc... No one can tell you - and no one here can say, don't worry two weeks after you will be better - that could very well be a lie... You could still be feeling super crummy - its all about you, your immune system, how you heal, your nutrition, even your outlook. You know your body best... Drs. Don't tell you anything because they don't know either - they they can only give you the average, the plus to being here is that we're honest about it and can tell you what we've been through but you will write your own story.

Good luck - it will get better smile

Last edited by Cheryld; 05-24-2012 06:14 AM.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users