Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#144260 12-26-2011 08:40 AM
OP Offline

This is my first time posting, I have sat back and read alot of information on here and followed a lot of advice that has helped tremendously with my boyfriend. he was diagnosed stage 4m base of tongue & nodes. His treatment protocol started with the induction chemo (taxotere, cisplatin & 5FU) he got thru that & now is on chemo/rad. Chemo 1x a week (carboplatin) and 33 rad. He has had 20 treatments so far and has been living on the VHC carnations & boosts with protein powder or weight gainer. Those have gotten pretty horrible lately and we are looking for other possibilities. His naseua has also stepped up the last few days. Things tend to come back up. He is on zofran as a preventative and for " break thru" compazine. But the thickness/texture of the shake, even water.d down is becoming hard, not so much from the pain, no narcotics yet, but the naseau. Thank you very much for any ideas. Merry Christmas!

Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hi, and welcome. I'm so sorry to read about the nausea and can definitely relate. You might look into Carafate which is an older line med, a liquid. Personally it didn't do a lot for me but we're all different and it might help him. Others I'm sure will offer suggestions too.

Hang in there. It's great of you to be such a help to him. Your attention and care are as important as any of his medical treatments. You're a hero.

Sending good thoughts to you both.

David 2
SCC of occult origin 1/09 (age 55)| Stage III TXN1M0 | HPV 16+, non-smoker, moderate drinker | Modified radical neck dissection 3/09 | 31 days IMRT finished 6/09 | Hit 14 years all clear in 6/23 | Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome kicked in a few years after treatment and has been progressing since | Prostate cancer diagnosis 10/18
OP Offline

Thank you David!

I will ask about the carafate tomorrow.

Any suggestions on other things to try and put in the belly that might work with the texture/ taste? Everything is repulsive to him. He can tolerate a little mango, but the shakes arent working so good anymore. smirk

Thank you again

Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

I so sympathize with you, and your boyfriend is lucky to have such a caring person as you to help him through this difficult time. David is right in that everyone is different in how they react to the treatment. My son only tolerated shakes for a short time. When I tried putting a small amount of "tasteless" protein powder in his shakes, he could taste it right away and refused it. He could only tolerate vanilla shakes with a lot of ice cream in it. As for the nausea meds, I think there are different suggestions the doctor could make. In my son's case (no insurance, not job, etc.) he felt that they started with the cheaper costing ones and if that didn't work, would try something else. Maybe you or your bf could check with the doctor to see a different nausea med would be more helpful. My son tolerated the low sodium chicken broth and sometimes beef broth. Later, very softly scrambled eggs. Sounds like your bf has come thru more than half of the treatments so far, so he is getting closer to the end. Keep in touch here and let us know what is happening.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

OP Offline

Thank you Anne-Marie-
He says the mucous is so much it's hard to get "thick" drinks down, like a milkshake. frown
Trying a few things to help that, that I have seen posted and the doctor has said. But was just curious what worked for others, since like you said, everyone responds different. Wish there was a users manual!
Anne-Marie, your son is a lucky fellato have you!

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Welcome to OCF. Here is a list of things your boyfriend can try. It may help. Right now is when the going gets tough. I found my self hospitalized for malnutrition and dehydration. Please push him to get enough in every single day or he will be right where I was. Some members have gotten a nasal feeding tube if they are unable to keep up with their nutrition. Possibly a regular feeding tube may be necessary if things get too bad. Hang in there, this ride is almost over and soon things will improve.

http://oralcancersupport.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=143744&page=1

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile

My usually healthy (35 year old) husband just finished his treatment of radiation (34 treatments) & chemo. He would have not been successful with his treatments if he didn't have his g-tube. I'm crossing my fingers your boyfriends dr had him get that placed or will soon have him get it placed. The nausea is something that has onlygotten worse for us lately and we did our last radiation Dec 1 and Chemo was just about a wk before that.

Here is how Brian gets through everyday: 8 mg of Zofran is the backbone for Brian's nausea support (every 8 hrs.) We use 1 mg lorazapam every 4 hrs and 20 ml of phenigren every 6 hrs if needed for nausea.

Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Not much, if anything, will appeal to him for weeks ahead so he needs to get use to swallowing for need. He needs appx 2500-3000 calories and 48 oz of water EACH and EVERY DAY from here until at least a couple of months POST Tx. With swallowing difficult now and only to probably get worse and the constant threat of nausea he needs to spend the least amount of time doing that as possible and the VHC is the easiest way to accomplish that as he would only need to swallow 5 to 6 cans a day plus 8 of those cans of water. I would stand over my bathroom sink, cut the lights off, close my eyes, swallow the room temp can as fast as I could and then pray it stayed down which it did more often than not.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
OP Offline

Thank you all for your advise.We keep trying different things.
He is trying to do it without the tube. . . . .
The problem isn't swallowing or being hungry, he is doing ok there and he is @ 24 treatments of 33 It's that whatever goes in, comes right back out. Any other suggestions? Need to keep the food in!!
Hope you all have a happy new year!
Thank you again!

Anti nausea meds like zofran should help. When nausea sets in its next to impossible to get ahead of it. Keep giving the meds even when you think the nausea has passed. Right now is when the worst of it begins so work even harder to keep the high calories and hydration. This will play a key role in how your BF feels. Soon it will be over and things will slowly return to normal. Best wishes!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma