Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#138339 08-18-2011 11:18 AM
drk Offline OP
OP Offline

I am a 60 year old physician in internal medicine specializing in spinal cord medicine. On August 9th I felt a lump on my L neck. I had an FNA biopsy done the same day that has come back with metastatic P16+ squamous cell Ca. Still awaiting final staging.
I know a fair amount about cancer and have a idea from treating my own patients what a rough road is ahead of me.
I have lots of questions but two that I am interested in right now as far as planning.
I would be interested in knowing people's experience working during different stages of their treatment and when, if they did not work during any part of their treatment, they were able to return to work assuming remission or a cure.
I've learned alot from browsing through this MB. I'd also like to know if there are other message boards or forums that are especially helpful.
Thanks, DrK

drk #138341 08-18-2011 11:45 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hello and welcome. Everyone reascts diferently to the tx for this disease. For myself, I thought I could keep working for a while but I only lasted about 3 days. I was driving public transit bus at the time and when the 1st wave of nausea hit I knew I couldn't work anymore. And I didn't return to work for almost 7 months because I was very fatigued and in a safety sensitive occupation that just wouldn't do. Many others had entirely different experience and I'm sure you will hear the full range, plus lots of support from the wonderful people here. I didn't find this site til weeks after my tx ended and seeing that other people had made it through and were getting on with their lives really helped. Good luck in your journey.

David R. 65 yr old male non-smoker, light drinker, stage 3 or 4, depending on which doc you ask, scc rt. tonsil, 2 nodes, 7 weeks radiation and chemo. No surgery. Teatment ended 3/20/08. PET scan 8/08 showed no cancer.
And now, as of oct, 2010, caregiver to wife, Linda, with breast cancer.
May, 2013, Linda diagnosed with stage 3 ovarian cancer. Enuf already.
drk #138342 08-18-2011 11:52 AM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

DrK - welcome. Sorry you have to be here but this is a wonderful place for everyone to share and help one another.

To answer your question personally: I had a neck dissection and 6 wks of IMRT (although no chemo) and it floored me. I was on my back for the next 3 months and didn't return to work until perhaps 5 months after the end of treatment. And then only part time. I'm also a writer working from home so the physical strain was a good deal less than someone in your line of work.

Best of luck with your treatment and please keep us informed.

David 2
SCC of occult origin 1/09 (age 55)| Stage III TXN1M0 | HPV 16+, non-smoker, moderate drinker | Modified radical neck dissection 3/09 | 31 days IMRT finished 6/09 | Hit 14 years all clear in 6/23 | Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome kicked in a few years after treatment and has been progressing since | Prostate cancer diagnosis 10/18
David2 #138343 08-18-2011 01:35 PM

Hi, Dr K
My husband worked 4 days/week from most of his tx - did not work chemo days. He took the last week of tx off, but was back to work the week after for Thursday and Friday. He works with computers at a university, and has a lot of flexibility at work, otherwise he couldn't have done this. For the first couple of months post TX, the weekends were devoted to resting! Also, since he didn't have the platinum based chemo, he didn't have the immune system issues that would have made working with the public problematic.

Besides the fatigue issues others have mentioned, you may have trouble talking for a while, and the nasty mucous stuff may take a while to clear. If my husband had a normal job, he probably would have had taken the last half of treatment off, and returned to work full time 2-3 months post treatment. You will probably want the radiation burns on your neck to heal so you don't scare your patients.

If you have any sports or hobbies, do them as far through therapy as you can manage. When things get tough, walking the dog (if you have one) everyday gets you out of the house to somewhere other than the radiation department and chemo room.

The American Cancer Society also has a chat board but I like this one better. Best wishes and let us know how you are doing!

Last edited by Maria; 08-18-2011 01:42 PM.

CG to husband - SCC Tonsil T1N2M0 HPV+ Never Smoker
First symptoms 7/2010, DX 12/2010
TX 40 IRMT (1.8 gy) + 10 Cetuximab
PET Scans 6/2011 + 3/2012 clear, 5 year physical exam clear; chest CT's clear of cancer. On thyroid pills. Life is good.
Maria #138344 08-18-2011 02:03 PM
drk Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks so much for the information.

drk #138352 08-18-2011 05:06 PM

DRK,

Hubby worked thru week three of treatment. When the pain and inability to eat kicked in the beginning of week four he stopped trying to work. Narcotics = no driving. He felt pretty lousy for the next three weeks, lost his voice and was hospitalized for fever/neutropenia the last week of treatment. But, he bounced back, was working, off all pain meds, and eating by mouth two weeks after treatment ended.

So...like we all say..everyone is different.

Wishing you the best as you begin this journey.

Deb

Deb..caregiver to husband, age 63 at diagnosis, former smoker who quit in 1997.
DIAGNOSIS: 6/26/07 SCC right tonsil/BOT T4N0M0
TREATMENT START: 8/9/07 cisplatin/taxol X 7..IMRT twice daily X 31.5.
TREATMENT END: 10/1/07
PEG OUT: 1/08
PORT OUT: 4/09
FOLLOWUP: Now only annual exams. ALL CLEAR!

Passed away 1/7/17 RIP Bill
debandbill #138371 08-19-2011 05:38 AM
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

My Dad is at the end of the infamous week 3 and like others, fatigue socked him good as rads are cumulative. He's the Evil Kenieval of life mishaps and has one of the highest tolerances to pain I've seen, and it's hard to keep him on meds but our experience urges me to suggest that you research your meds and be prophylactic with them. His CCC is very vigilant about this and encourgages swallowing as much as possible, and as an observer I can share the fatigue limits physical work, but exercise is critical.

Caco
CG to Dad. Biopsy 5/11 non-op, SCC stage IV poorly dif at base of tongue with nodes, quit smoking in '85, ChemoRad began 8/2/11 ended 9/22/11 with NED. Distant mets 11/11, clinical trials. War raging on!
Caco #138373 08-19-2011 09:26 AM
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi there - and welcome! Sorry you have to be here - but this is great place - with regards to your second question there are other places on the Internet - but most of them are "all cancers" with a few of us around, or not as well organized - this is the best!! In so far as I can see.

Now onto your first question!! As everyone here has said we're all different. I felt okay up to the last few days of rads (30-33) at that point i was not good!!! Mostly just because of the mucositis - there was a lot of discomfort - and I was drooling like a great Dane. Frankly it was GROSS. This continued for the two cumulative weeks post treatment. I did not use my peg (it made me throw up) so for about 7 days I was on oxy. I would take an oxy wait for it to kick in rinse with the magic mouthwash then chug a bottle of ensure! I did this mostly for the first week then I weaned myself off the oxy over a couple days. During this time I watched a lot of really bad reality TV in between naps. I started seeing improvement by week two. Technically I felt good enough to go back to work a month or so later - but didn't because I do tech work for the school board - and am off for the summer.

Chemo wasn't bad to me either. I had the standard nausea for a few days but no real vomiting as I was careful - usually I would take my antiemetic for break through nausea and then down my ensure. I only received 2 rounds because my WBC was low at one point and they couldn't fit it in even though I wanted them to. I was blessed through this whole ordeal in that I didn't suffer as much as most. My neck tanned and peeled (I'm olive skinned) I didn't really blister or burn but I was also very religious about applying my cream.

Food wise. I did mostly ensure from about week 4 - it was a taste issue, I figured eating was not fun or comfortable - so let's make it as quick as possible. I would manage 1600 calories a day and lots of water. I lost 20 lbs. Total. I'm down a bit more now becuse I am eating but not breads or sugars, though I am active. I still take a power smoothie every morning with about 45 gms of protein to kick start my day. I did this through my whole treatment.

Walking and staying active is a good thing as you probably know. I walked my dog twice a day for about 20 minutes. Except for the really bad week. Then I could only manage 1 walk a day ( oxy didn't get rid of my pain just put me to sleep! ) I also went to the gym up to week 4.

However - to add a little perspective - I know a gentleman with OC who lived with his head in a bucket from his first chemo treatment up to a month after his last. He had HPV + BOT cancer with node involvement. He was very sensitive to the cisplatin and lost 60 lbs. He's doing great now though - and I feel good too. I believe I'm 14 weeks out. I can eat most things, though spicy food, and acidic foods are very uncomfortable still, and my sweet taste is still avoiding me! Being in the medical profession, you will likely need to make sure your immune system is back to work before you are, but other than that - hopefully you'll kick it in the pants and move on quickly. Hope this helps!

Good luck. And take care

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
Cheryld #138386 08-19-2011 04:26 PM
drk Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks again so much for the information. I think that this will be a great place for my wife and I to find support. I�ve always tried to be a doctor who listens more than talks and have probably learned more from my patients than they have learned from me. In starting this process there is nothing like the news you get from those who have been there and done that.

PET CT followed by pan endoscopy and tonsillectomy on Monday.

drk #138391 08-19-2011 06:15 PM

I worked thru my induction Chemo but stayed home during the 7 weeks of Rads, I finished on 11 Nov and went back to work plowing snow for 19 hours on the 29th of Nov. We are all different and it will depend on how you react to Tx. Hope this helps!! Semper-Fi Bob

Bob age 57, non smoker,non drinker, ended treatment on 11 Nov 2007 and started back to work on 29 Nov 2007. Veterans Day 2012 the Battle was lowered, folded, Taps was played and the Flag buried as I am know a 5 year survivor. Semper-FI !!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Kval, iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel
13,106 Registered Users
Forum Statistics