Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
"OCF Canuck"

It sounds to me like the hospital is responsible and negligent in their procedure - they appear to be trying to cover it up - and hoped you wouldn't notice (and I'm not one of those people who's all up on suing people and companies - or someone who sees a conspiracy everywhere ) - but if a patient (healthy for the most part) dies unexpectedly - an autopsy should be performed - I do believe this may be the hospitals call unless the family chooses to push for it. Hospitals are in a unique position in that if a wrong drug is given and kills someone. it can be covered up. Not saying he received the wrong drug - just giving you an example. So if they're the ones giving the meds and they're the ones who are attributing the death to XYZ - then they have far too much power! They would choose not to investigate knowing that his death was untimely and likely their responsibility - I know your dr. Sounsd great and knowledgeable and super nice. But that doesnt mean he is not responsible. Even if a death is suspicious who's to say? The dr treating the patient? If he made a mistake - giving the drug late, not making sure the patient was being well monitored - not making sure a heart monitor was applied ( these would -should all be in the Drs. Orders in the chart - ) or even not reading the contraindications and warning correctly or thoroughly - and then he is the one called in to pronounce... Or even another dr. It's very easy to sign off and say... Natural causes... No dr. Wants to make troubl for another dr. Especially a collegue - and no dr. Wants to lose his licence - so given the choice... Like it or not - and nice or not he may choose self preservation...
I'm not sure if I'm thankful I wasn't offered Erbitux ( there was a clinical trial they were considering for me) but I'm grateful to you for the warning and trying help others. Take care. And do make the drug company aware.

Last edited by Cheryld; 07-02-2011 07:57 AM.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan

You have all of my best and a thank you from one who had Erbitux almost 4 yrs ago. I had no problem with it but sure didn't know of any riskes. maybe this is why I have so much trouble since. Along with the Erbitux, I had rads and also rad seed implants put into my tongue. Now I wish I would have asked a lot of questions and not just let them do what they thought best. Thank you again and I'm glad you posted this.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

JW, I've been thinking about you since reading this last week and have shared this story several times. Although I don't know you, my heart aches for you. My Dad was diagnosed around the same time as your husband. It is interesting to note that during one of the consults we had at a local CC that the RO suggested Erbitux would be used. This was before a tumor board even reviewed his case. I had read this folder before that session and have been researching ever since.

Dad is about to begin treatment at a CCC. Can anyone suggest the "list" of chemo agents I should research before we get to the planning session Monday so that I'm prepared? Cisplatin is likely, but I'd like to know what else I should research. As I'm still green at this, and this may already exist in another folder, please just redirect if appropriate?

Again JW, you have helped so many people you'll never meet and are suffering so much, it is not fair that I can only offer a thank you.

Caco
CG to Dad. Biopsy 5/11 non-op, SCC stage IV poorly dif at base of tongue with nodes, quit smoking in '85, ChemoRad began 8/2/11 ended 9/22/11 with NED. Distant mets 11/11, clinical trials. War raging on!
OP Offline

Caco - I hope everything goes well and you are able to find the right drug that will work. Please research for interactions and risks so you can make the decision for it to be used and on a newer drug make sure the doctor has used it before.

OP Offline

Hmmmmmmmmm.......why the silence???

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320