Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Tommy,
For what it is worth. There are hospitals that call their facilities, "cancer center", but they are not the kind of cancer centers we are talking about. This is the link to the list that someone (David I think) posted earlier:
http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/resources/cancer_centers.htm
These folks have likely seen & treated lots of tongue cancers.

My experience with small cancer on the tongue is that it is tricky. I found out that it was possible mine had been around longer, healed up some, and then was discovered. Or maybe not. If you're not at risk for it (smoking, chewing) then perhaps a person does not pay much attention. What was stressed to me was:
the best time to cure it is now. That does not mean get it operated on tomorrow, or 3 days from now. That means get the plan formulated correctly.

Believe me, you do have two weeks to get a second opinion on it. You mention a white spot. So it is possible she has another place with cancer. Or maybe not. You won't know until you get it all out with wide margins--maybe. That is why sometimes radiation is recommended with tongue cancer unless it is very early. If she truly has cancer in situ, well that's something different.

I'll make it plainer: GET A SECOND OPINION. Check the list. You owe it to yourselves so you won't think "if only, if I had" about this particular issue.

The way to help your nerves in the long run is to do the above.
Best,
Anne

SCC tongue 9/2010, excised w/clear margins:8 X 4 mm, 1 mm deep
Neck Met, 10/2010, 1 cm lymph node; 12/21/'10: Neck Diss 30 nodes, 29 clear, micro ECE node, part tongue gloss, no residual scc
IMRT & 6 cisplatin 1/20/11-2/28/11 at MDA
GIST tumor sarcoma, removed 9/2011, no chemo needed
Clear on both counts as of Fall, 2021
OP Offline

hi every we're getting ready for the consultation with a ENT soon. While everybody looks alot more relax from the CT scan results. I am still very worry.

Can the CT scan show if the virus has spread to the lymph nodes? if not what shows it?

Im a bit confuse from the report from the CT scan. it reads

"there is no mass in the floor of mouth, oral cavity, tongue base, oropharnyx, or hypopharynx. The laryngeal structures are within normal limits. The parotid and submandibular glads are normal in size and enhancement"
"No evidence for cervical lymphdenopathy by CT size criteria."
"The thyroid glad is unremarkable"
"The paranasal sinuses and mastoids ar eclear"
"Visualized portions of the brain parenchyma and orbits are unremarkable"
"No prevertebral masses are seen. The vascular structures enhance normally."
"The osseous structures are unremarkable with exception of degenerative disc disease in the cervical spine particularly at C6-7"
"There is no pulmonary nodule or mass in the visualized lung apices."

I am a bit confused because the first sentence says, "there is no mass in the floor of mouth, oral cavity, tongue base, oropharnyx, or hypoparynx", doesnt that pretty much say she doesnt have it?

Please let me know what you guys think.

mom with tongue cancer
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

The scan showed no abnormalities so other than the bio results there is nothing that the scan points to as suspicious. I know this is all new to the both of you but you keep using the word VIRUS when talking about the SCC. If it is SCC, it's cancer. Now it's possible that a virus caused the cells to go malignant but that remains to be seen. I am still troubled by that phrase "at least squamous cell carcinoma". I have read a ton of path reports and never have I come across that phrase.

I repeat what I said before. Please consider getting an opinion from a CCC BEFORE ANY FURTHER TREATMENT IS DONE, ESPECIALLY SURGERY.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

I agree with David go to a Cancer Center there is a list on OCF website. They will be straight up with you.

Connie

SCC. of the left lateral tongue, anterior two thirds, T1 possibly a T2.
Left partial glossectomy, left selective neck dissection 4/21/09. Nodes clean, No Rad, No Chemo.

CT Scan 9/11 clean, CT Scan 9/12 clean

Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, FL. A+.

My hometown Lockport, NY.

"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Okay - the report says basically there is no other cancer other than what's on her tongue - I'm assuming - base of tongue is a different location than the oral tongue - though usually a path report will also give the dimensions of the lesion too. So that's odd.

Her lymph node did not highlight - to ct size standards - meaning there could be cancer in the nodes but too small to detect with a ct. (on a microscopic level) but everyone here is right your mom needs to be seen at a cancer center. Good luck! And wish your mom many blessings!

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan

CCC stands for Comprehensive Cancer Center Tommy. I hope things are going good for you.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here

Tommy, knowing which state you live in might help some in your area give you a good CCC.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndlors01, Kval, iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina
13,107 Registered Users