Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#134344 05-19-2011 01:00 PM
6571 Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Have not contacted you lovely folk for a number of weeks now. My sister Jo is now 8 months post treatment 30 rt and 2 x chemo. She is no longer able to eat or drink and at this moment in time is peg dependent. Her treatment has affected her hearing and for many months now she is rinsing her mouth and throat in an obsessive compulsive way. The honest truth is she does this non stop all day and most of the night; constantly rinsing and spitting. She fills buckets full of water and ice cubes also will try various other sodas but it really is so sad to watch her. She seems tormented getting fluid just so far down her throat then spits it up. She knows herself she is not right but it does not seem to make any difference. We tell her doctors and dietician this at her six weekly visits but they do not seem concerned. She just wants so much to be able to drink but has been told that her throat muscles have stopped working...She was so sad in the clinic today that finally they said they will have her in to see if dialation will work; I hope and pray that this may help her but she seems so sad and depressed. She has seen a psychologist but did not feel this was doing her any good so she did not return. She is aware that in saving her life she has had to forfeit something but is so into herself and with her deafness and the compulsive drinking and rinsing this cannot be right. We know she has to help herself and today I tried a bit of tough love to encourage her to take more water through her peg. She trembles non-stop...but the most worrying aspect is the rinsing I can honestly say she rinses and spits gallons and gallons of water throughout the day and night...She also has treatment induced sleep apnoea...I really did hope that when I last contacted you lovely guys she would have improved somewhat by now. It is not regular rinsing and spitting. It is constant every single minute of the day. Has anyone else experienced any of the above symptoms post treatment to this extent? Her mouth and throat are so dry all the time.....

Very best wishes to you all.

Kathie UK

Last edited by 6571; 05-19-2011 02:30 PM.

sister diagnosed June 2010 back of tongue 30 intensive RT and 2 chemo (will confirm what stage later) finished treatment Sept 2010. Peg dependent unable to swallow. 6 teeth removed prior to treatment. HPV?
6571 #134347 05-19-2011 02:24 PM
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Ok - one problem at a time:
1. Depression/OCD type behaviour - get back to the psychologist or see a new one
2. Difficulty swallowing: the response you're getting from your MD and dietician is not acceptable. To be "unconcerned" about her swallowing issues tells me they're not treating one of the largest areas of human quality of life - completely unacceptable.
Has she had a Modified Barium Swallow Study? If not, insist upon it. It will tell you WHY she's not getting fluid down - it may be there is a tightening of the esophagus which won't allow fluid to travel down to the stomach (a dilatation could improve that) but it could be that the larynx isn't lifting up high enough to trigger a swallow - if that's the case then going through the discomfort of a dilatation procedure will be of no help at all. Treatment to get those swallow muscles active and elevating could help the problem. So you see, it is very important to know the WHY of the problem before you determine a solution.
3. The rinsing - WHY is she doing it? Is it because she can't swallow her saliva, does her mouth feel dry all the time so the rinse serves to moisten her mouth? The constant rinsing can be an irritant and serve to dry out her mouth more. If she can't swallow then she has no choice but to spit. If she can swallow - she should. If she needs more moisture there are products that are similar to saliva - artifiial saliva - that would be much better for her to use if it's a moisture issue. After 8 months, she's devloped the habit of spitting and rinsing - it would be a lot of effort for her to break the habit by using an oral mosturizer and forcing (essentially) herself NOT to rinse and spit constantly. It could take a while but the end result would likely be a return of the normal balance of the mouth and she might not feel the need to rinse at all.
Swallowing is a poorly understood issue, one that the medical community may be a little slow to address - please, PUSH it!

Jennifer (39)
02/10 SCCa Tongue & Base, HPV-
03/10 Partial Glossectomy & ND 11/10 Revision due to additional nodes 12/20-2/2/11 IMRT & concommitant chemo 2/11 PEG in 3/11 PEG out
Back at work and feeling good 03/24/11!
12/20/11 - 9 month f/u PET/CT - all clear!
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Im so sorry your sister is having so many problems after treatment. It must be terrible to watch her behave like this!

To me it sounds as if she has developed some sort of psychological disorder similar to people who wash their hands 200 times per day. She needs a professional to help her thru this. I would think that anxiety medication would help to calm her nerves so she can get a handle of the constant rinsing and spitting. Those medications can take weeks before they build up levels in her body to work.

I wish your sister would become a member of OCF. It would be helpful just knowing she isnt alone with her problems. We are all patients, caregivers and/or survivors who have all struggled at one point or another with treatments or the after effects. Best wishes to both of you.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile

Katie

Whoa - time for some medical intervention IMO. I agree with Jennifer and Christine completely. One additional option, if Jo does not want to be taking anti-depressants, then encourage her to at least talk to a therapist. Not being able to swallow is NOT the end of the world, although it does indeed feel like it. compulsive and constant rinse and spit is not normal although I had to do it every half hour or choke to death but it sounds like she is doing more often than that.
sorry to hear about this
charm

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13
klo Offline
"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Just a couple of quick questions: Do you know why she is rinsing and spitting so often? Is it to alleviate a feeling of choking? Or dryness? Or maybe she thinks constant attempts will get her swallow back? Even people with a compulsion to do something, do it for a reason that is important to them. With that knowledge, maybe you can skip the unconcerned doctor and dietician (and shame on them) and go straight to the speech pathologist. Also it might be worth actually counting how many times an hour she does it. This will carry more weight with the healthcare workers if you can quantify it rather than telling them she does it constantly. It is possible the doctors think you are exaggerating or they are translating what you are telling them into once or twice an hour (hence their lack of concern). How long does she sleep before the need to rinse and spit wakes her up?

Karen
Love of Life to Alex T4N2M0 SCC Tonsil, BOT, R lymph nodes
Dx March 2010 51yrs. Unresectable. HPV+ve
Tx Chemo x 3+1 cycles(cisplatin,docetaxel,5FU)- complete May 31
Chemoradiation (IMRTx35 + weekly cisplatin)
Finish Aug 27
Return to work 2 years on
3 years out Aug 27 2013 NED smile
Still underweight
klo #134409 05-21-2011 09:10 AM
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Hi - sorry to hear your sister is suffering. You said her mouth is so dry all the time - I'm assuming this is why she is rinsing and spitting constantly - biotin has a mouthwash that should help - they also have a spritzer that may help, and they have a gum. All designed to help with the lack of saliva. And I hear it's available at Walmart.

Otherwise every bit of advice these guys have given you is gold push her Drs. To find out why she can't swallow and it sounds like she does need some counselling. My thoughts and prayers are with you... Take care

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
"OCF across the pond"
Gold Member (200+ posts)
"OCF across the pond"
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Hi Kathie, We are in the UK as well. I agree with the others, maybe the rinsing and spitting is partly psychological, but it's worth asking for the swallowing barium test. They did that with Martin, where he had to swallow wet bread and yogurts and they watch it on camera and analyse why there is difficulty swallowing. Also for the dryness, ask your consultant for samples, we got Biotene, and various other gels to test. At his worse as well when Martin was dependent on the nasal tube, we were loaned a nebulizer and I used to make Martin do a 20 minute session twice a day. It did work a little with the moisture in the mouth, all be it temporarily. Do you have a care officer? We were assigned one and she did get stuff done. If not just hound and pester the nurses or dietician until someone does something. You have to nag nag nag with the NHS I have learnt, but nag enough and they will look after you. Which is your hospital? We are under the Royal Marsden.

Girlfriend to Martin 49 years old at diagnosis
Diagnosed with SCC unknown primary June 2008.
Cancer found in single node Stage N2A (3 to 6cm).
Tonsilectomy 16th june, Radical modified neck dissection left side 30th june.
30 TX radiotherapy ended 9th October
First comparative study scan came back clear
6571 #134749 05-31-2011 01:07 PM

Hi Kathie: I was a bit OCD about rinsing my mouth when I was first out of treatment, maybe every hour. I realize this is not as often as your sister. For me it just felt good. I secreted a lot (the opposite of dry mouth) but still the feeling of a clean fresh mouth was so great I sought it out a lot that first month. I use Biotene products (toothpaste, rinse, oral gel) and they are great for freshness and to help with dry mouth. Also, I had trouble swallowing out of treatment and the doc gave me a steroid to open up my throat. This might be something for your sister. I am also working with a really gentle but firm speech therapist who helps with swallowing and eating. I had a big mental block against eating because my mouth was so full of sores. This therapist has really helped me. I still have my PEG but getting it out seems an option now. I feel so badly to hear that she is having such a tough time. Has she ever posted here? Would she be into email contact? I would be happy to chat/email with her. She is lucky to have you in her life. Best to you and your sister. -Michelle

SCC left tonsil, stage IV, HPV+, metastatic to one lymph node. Biopsy 12/23/10; tonsillectomy 1/13/11; DX 1/25/11; Peg in 1/28/11. Peg out 6/29. TX 1/31/11-3/21/11: 35 IMRT plus 3 Cisplatin. Pet-Scan 6/20/11 = CLEAR! Three years out, learning to live with the long-term side effects of radiation while reminding myself to feel blessed.
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Michelle Anne - just out of curiosity what steroid?

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
6571 Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

thanks for all your suggestions....have not contacted OCF for a number of weeks now but was so touched by your concern with regard to my sister...I have tried to get her to join the forum in her own right but she makes excuses that she cannot do it at the moment,,but never say never.

We really said everything that should be said at her last check up and she was referred to a psychologist...they took on board the amount of time she spent rinsing and spitting was not right..

I must admit that everything you folks have suggested she has done. Today she was admitted to hospital for attempted dialation. After coming out of theatre the consultant told her that they were unable to do anything at all because of the vast amount of scar tissue caused by her treatment and would therefore be peg dependent for the rest of her life. I feel now she may have resigned herself to this and with the help of her higher power will be able to move forward...
Thanks once again...Oh by the way Cecilia she received her radiation and chemo at the New Oncology hospital at St. James'
Hospital, Leeds and follow up treatment at York. She still rinses and spits constantly but we hope her psychology visits will be able to deal with this. We can only see what tomorrow brings when she has had time to deal with today....and I do hope that she will get in touch as I know she would get so much and also could contribute so much to your wonderful forum.

Love to all
Kathiex

sister diagnosed June 2010 back of tongue 30 intensive RT and 2 chemo (will confirm what stage later) finished treatment Sept 2010. Peg dependent unable to swallow. 6 teeth removed prior to treatment. HPV?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users