Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline

I had called the Dr. and checked to see if it was OK to switch. I go back to the Dr. on Friday, still using the Jevity that we had already purchased.I will check again and if they want me on it I will talk with the case worker at the hospital. This has 284.4 calories per can so it is not quite as high as Ensure Plus. I am HOPING that within another week I will be able to get the jaws unwired and get the rubber bands and maybe drink instead of the feeding tube. I KNOW I can't drink that Jevity...YUCK! :o)

I will check on it Friday for sure, as I am concerned too...don't want to go broke but don't want to skimp on my calories/food.

Doing OK....not bouncing back as quick as I expected this time...I understand...just disappointed it isn't coming back as quickly. I will need physical therapy for the shoulder that they drug the muscle up and through. I will post again after I get back on Friday.

Michele in IL

Female - 53 no smoke/drink
tongue Biopsy 8/2010
Surgery 9/21 for SCC left side tongue stage II. Prtl removal tongue/left side lymph nodes. All Clear
Radiation started 11/2, ended 12/17
Lymph node involved left side along with gum involvement 2/9 Fibular flap failed 2/22.
passed away 1/12/12
OP Offline

I went to the Dr. today...he took out the stitches/staples and unwired my jaw! I drank an Ensure Plus on the way home even! I certainly wouldn't be able to drink the Jevity so that solves that question! He put rubber bands on my brace pieces so I can open a little and drink but it keeps my jaws in line instead of letting it drift to the side that the jaw is weak. I have my plug in the trach and once it goes 24/48 hours I can have that taken out. I am to be trying to drink all my calories then I can get the feeding tube out but I don't think I can swallow pills yet, as I can't get them into my mouth...so I will need the feeding tube to get those in. The rubber bands are supposed to be for 3-4 weeks I think so either I will learn to get the pills in or I will wait until the junk is removed from my teeth but am excited about corking the trach and getting it out in a few days hopefully! Drinking Ensure, water, juice, what ever I want in liquid form...yummy!

Michele in IL

Female - 53 no smoke/drink
tongue Biopsy 8/2010
Surgery 9/21 for SCC left side tongue stage II. Prtl removal tongue/left side lymph nodes. All Clear
Radiation started 11/2, ended 12/17
Lymph node involved left side along with gum involvement 2/9 Fibular flap failed 2/22.
passed away 1/12/12

Michele,

Already swallowing! That's fantastic. It bodes well for a quick recovery.

Using the tube for crushed pills is a good idea. I used to take crushed pills as a child when I had rheumatic fever and couldn�t swallow them whole. A spoonful of Hersey Syrup afterwards helped remove the taste. Dr. Mom was before her time; chocolate has since been shown in clinical trials to be a wonder drug whistle

Keep bringing the good news.
Susan

Susan, CG to husband, diagnosed April 2010, age 56, non-smoker, no HPV
Mandibulectomy on left side May 2010 followed by 30 radiation, 3 cisplatin treatments.
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

I'm going back 11 years.....Our insurance BS/BC paid for Ensure because that was the only way for my husband to get nutrition and using the PEG Tube. I'm trying to remember how I did it. He retired from General Motors I think I called there first (Health Benefits) then I called the Insurance Co. I know I talked to many people and finally we had cartons and cartons delievered and it was covered. I was told if that's the only way he can eat the insurance will pay for it. I'm sure if you just filed a claim they won't pay you need to talk to a person.

Give it a try.

Connie

SCC. of the left lateral tongue, anterior two thirds, T1 possibly a T2.
Left partial glossectomy, left selective neck dissection 4/21/09. Nodes clean, No Rad, No Chemo.

CT Scan 9/11 clean, CT Scan 9/12 clean

Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, FL. A+.

My hometown Lockport, NY.

Insurance covers Jim's Ensure Plus. I just needed to have a prescription written for it. I think the prescription had to say "for enteral feeding" in order to be covered.

CG to sp age 53
4/10 BOT IVb
6/10 Ttl Gloss Lrngectmy L Mndbltmy 5+ Nodes
7/10 Cispl & Rad
1/11 recur lung mets
2/11 Clin Tr Erb Carb 5FU last 5/11
7/11 Tumor growth began wkly Bleo, Taxol, Carbo
10/28/11 Hospice; Passed 11/7/11
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507