Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
CMMoore Offline OP
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (200+ posts)

I miss having a "man of the house", someone to schedule the car maintenance, play in the garage, build me things. I have this shell of a husband and I don't know what to do. I miss intimacy. I miss feeling like I have a strong man to turn to when times are tough. I feel like I am alone already. We have these rare and brief moments where we reconnect and it's like OH MY GOD I'VE MISSED YOU!!! We'll cry together, share some feelings. But the next day it is inevitably two ghosts walking past each other day to day....

CG to my husband, Matt. Dx June 2009 Stage IV Oropharengeal SCC right tonsil primary with distant metastases. Rad to neck- Surgeries to lungs- Every avail chemo - ran out of options Jan 2012, called for hospice help Feb 2012, at rest March 19, 2012.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Welcome to my world...I'm upstairs while he stays downstairs. He isn't taking care of himself. And "I" have given up. I can't "B" any more. He isn't drinking his Boosts or eating all day. He drinks his friggin beer and continues to smoke cigarettes all day long. I can't do it anymore.

CG to Ron
Out of Pain 4/3/13
4/12-lung and under chin growth no treatment
1/13/12 lung biopsy
6/11 recur 6/30 resection #2 Clear margins
Clear 12/10
Surg 5/13/10 neck dis/nodes part gloss/flap R thigh all teeth out
RAD 30 8/10
DX 4/2/10 "Oral Cavity" T3NOMO
12/28/07 Non Hodg Lymph remission 7/08
passed away 4.3.15, RIP Ron, you are greatly missed
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

One word, Suez: Al-Anon.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

Senior Member (100+ posts)

CM, my heart just goes out to you and Matt. I just re-read your previous posts and it sounds like Matt is tired of the recurrences and fighting this disease. While he is dealing with the prospect of dying, you are grieving the life that you had together prior to this insidious disease. While the "old" life may not return, a new life can begin... and your relationship is and will continue to grow stronger as you fight this battle together. Do you think that the two of you could take vacation or a mini-vacation and do something that is enjoyable to you both.... just some activity to serve as a distraction to dealing with cancer could be very helpful.

Anyway, I'll keep you both in my prayers.

Big hug to ya from NC.

Dodie

Aunt diag. 2/4/10 with SCC Stage I/II on left side of tongue. Surgery 2/19/10 part. gloss./neck diss. on left side/free flap from chest muscle. TI/II,NO,MO. Clear margins with perineural invasion. Started rads 4/8/10 - 35 treatments, finished 5/26/10.

CM- So sorry you are dealing with this. I agree with Penners. My husband and I would sometimes take a walk, albeit a very short one. It helped to clear our heads and remember why we were together in the first place. It helped me to take a small step out of caretaker mode and see the truly brave, amazingly strong, man that he was.

cg to husband, 48 Stage 1V head and neck SCC. First surgery 9/07. Radiation and several rounds of chemo followed. Mets to chest and lungs. "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain." Went home to God on February 22, 2009.
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF across the pond"

I always did and always will maintain that Robins cancer destroyed two lives,not just his.During his illness and treatment, it took my husband away and replaced him with a helpless angry resentful bitter man who had no room in his life for anyone but himself and his disease.It took away my friend,my lover and my provider.It took his life and mine,and it takes time to come to terms with all of this.One way of getting through,is to talk to other women in the same boat.Get it all off your chest,there are plenty of us here to listen and advise.

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007
Recurrence June/07 died July 29th/07.

Never take your eye off the ball, it may just smack you in the mouth.
"OCF Canuck, across the pond"
"OCF Canuck, across the pond"

I'm on the other side of this issue, sort of. I'm the one with the cancer. In my case my prognosis is actually pretty good. It's been 7 months since the end of my primary treatments (7 weeks of radiation, 3 chemo sessions) which nearly killed me. No more than 7 weeks ago I had the results of a limited neck dissection surgery which found no cancer at all in my neck, so for now, I'm in the clear and in "clinical remission".

You would think I would be ecstatic, doing cartwheels of joy. But I spent a large percentage of the last 7 months mentally preparing myself for a slow and painful death; I was unable to even hope for the "good" result I've had. Somewhere between the physical "trip" I've been through, possible PTSD, and the fact that during my trip I had to abandon my work in environmental consulting and move from North America to London England (where my wife has professional work), where I have few prospects for work and almost no friends, I'm having some real trouble.

It's as if a big "reset button" has been pressed in my mind. My interests are all gone. My sense of optimism is trashed. I struggle to get out of bed in the morning, literally.

Things with my wife are strained. To be fair, she's been through hell this year, and has done a LOT to try to ensure that we have an income and a home (which is how we've ended up in London). I am not complaining in that regard. But the reality is, we're having to re-approach our relationship from scratch, and we've both changed a lot. And my tendency for negativity and gloom are a big problem. Also, money is tight, living on one income in this expensive place.

About ten years ago I had a bout with depression, and ultimately the answer was to make a major change in my life, and get some exercise. I'm trying that, but it's hard to force the exercise.

I find London expensive, grubby, flat, unfriendly, unwieldily and low on opportunity. I used to be very handy, much more "capable" in general than I am now. I'm a hollow shell of my former self. It's as if most of my interests have been burned out of me by their triviality relative to looming death by cancer, and even now, have not returned or been replaced by new ones.

Give it time. Yes. This is about all I can do. If I had a job, and a few friends here, I would probably feel quite a bit better. I think that for me, the combination of coming out the back end of this "trip", combined with being in a strange foreign land (and not foreign in any particularly "good" ways) is a bad combination. Perhaps I'm still "healing" from my ordeal. After all, it's only been a handful of weeks since my unexpected "good" news.

Why can't I see this as an opportunity?

I hate feeling this way. It's miserable. Way more difficult than I would have imagined. And this while I'm basically "ok"! Sure, I have residual side effects, dry mouth, poor sleep, dodgy digestion.....but relative to so many of you on this site those are trivial. For all I know I might feel this way being "trapped" in a strange old English city without a job or friends, regardless of having had cancer (if I dare speak of it in the past tense).

It's pretty clear to me that if I'm going to be here, I need to find a way to get active and meet some people. And I am working on this. If I was still in Vancouver I think it would be much easier, but this place is just that much different and strange to put me at a strong disadvantage.

I'm not sure what point I have to make here, other than to tell my own story and express the fact that despite being in relatively good physical shape and having had about as good news as possible for a person with cancer, I'm still struggling to get my feet back under me. I hate feeling this way, and I feel guilty that I feel this way (which of course doesn't help).

I have support, but with that support comes pressure to do better. This is hard, but it's nothing like what I went through in May of this year. All odds suggest I'll make it through this......but the question is, what will I make it through *to*.

Only time will tell. And all I can do is move forward from where I am, right?

Right!

Onward through the fog!

-Seth

47 yr old male non-smoker, social drinker, fit. Jan'10, Stg3 rt tonsil+rt neck SCC, HPV+, rad+chmo Vancouver Cda. 2yr clear Apr'12 London UK. Apr'13 mets recur to lymph btw left lung & aorta, 3x Cisplatin+5FUchemo+20 rad, was all clear but 6-mo PET-CT shows mets to pleura around left lung, participating in St 1 trial of GDC-0980. GDC lost effect and ended July'14, bad atrial fibrillation requiring hospitalisation, start more standard chemo 10 Sep 2014.
Sadly has passed away, notified Jan 2015.
"OCF across the pond"
"OCF across the pond"

Thats an extremely insightful post Seth.The great thing about it is your awareness and honesty about how you feel.For most of us wives thats all we needed.An honest explanation,but the communication button seems permanantly switched to off in most cases i have encountered.Moving to a place like London must be unbelievably stressful,having been born and lived their till i was 17 i know it to be a cold lonely impersonal place full of people with their own lives to live.There are much nicer and cheaper places to live in the UK within easy commute of London where you might have more of a chance of easing back into life after cancer.

We have a saying here on OCF "the new norm" and i guess you are trying to find yours.Keep communicating Seth and time will bring its own peace eventually.

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007
Recurrence June/07 died July 29th/07.

Never take your eye off the ball, it may just smack you in the mouth.
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Seth, you've gone through such huge changes, so many that your psyche must be just reeling from it all. I've seen how hard it's been for Gordon to adjust to the "new normal" (and quite frankly, he struggles with it daily) and if anything else were added to his situation, like a big move, change in employment status, etc. I think he would just implode. Depression has been a big issue for him, and I can't help but wonder if this is what's going on for you. Depression can be like a snake eating its own tail, making it pretty hard to get the motivation to get out and do anything. Anti-depressants have helped Gordon to some degree - if you have a Dr. in London, might it be useful to ask about this? Sometimes we need a bit of help to climb out of the hole.
Anne (who also lives in Vancouver - we probably passed each other in the BCCA halls)

Anne - CG to Gordon (59), non-smoker/non-drinker. SCC, BOT, HPV 16+, stage 3. Jan./10 - radical neck dissection to remove 48 lymph nodes, 1 node pos. Apr. 23/10 - finished 35 rad. and 3 cisplatin. Jul. 22/10 - PET scan clear.
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Suez,
If you haven't read "Codependent No More", by Melody Beattie, I strongly recommend it. The only person you can save is yourself, and you need to start now. Al-Anon is a really good suggestion too. I am working on changing my "caretaking" behaviour every day now. So different from "caregiving". Good luck. Anne

Anne - CG to Gordon (59), non-smoker/non-drinker. SCC, BOT, HPV 16+, stage 3. Jan./10 - radical neck dissection to remove 48 lymph nodes, 1 node pos. Apr. 23/10 - finished 35 rad. and 3 cisplatin. Jul. 22/10 - PET scan clear.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics