Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

As a 4 year producer of the thick crap I would be interested in anything that would work so keep us all posted. Like you I need to know the whys of everything and I haven't found anyone yet that has been able to explain this much less cured it. I have tried various cold remedies but all they seem to do is dry me up while not decreasing the production. I produce it all day long (not much at night) and it seems that every 30 mins or so I have accumulated the size of a small pea and spit it out. I drink water constantly all day long and that doesn't help this problem. I do seem to produce more at meal time but I usually drink milk, always have, with each meal so I don't know if that helps my production as some have said.

Clueless in Gulfport!

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.

Klo

Mucinex's active ingredient is Guaifenesin and some OCF posters have found relief from it. I second David's request to keep us posted if you have any success. Throughout this 3 year struggle, the only constant has been phlegm. Conceptually, thinning out the phlegm makes sense as a coping mechanism.
Early on I had to use seltzer water to break it up, but my surgery which left me unable to swallow, also eliminated dry mouth entirely since even the non perceptible trickle of saliva pools up quickly. This seems to keep the phlegm moist enough to cough up much more easily with just a gargle of plain water.
However, I'd gladly trade this ease for the former difficulty and choking if I could swallow again.
Finally a Google search turned up an Australian Cough medicine called: Duro-Tuss Chesty Cough Liquid Forte which is a mixture of both Bromhexine, Guaifenesin
charm

Last edited by Charm2017; 09-19-2010 11:12 AM. Reason: typos

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13
klo Offline OP
"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
OP Offline
"OCF Down Under"

Thanks Guys

I will get my guinea pig - er my Alex to a try cough medicine that will make his mucous/phlegm runnier rather than the suppressant or decongestant kind which would do the opposite(I am hoping these are the cold remedies David already tested). Interesting that fizzy water clears "phlegm" better than still - Alex has experienced this too - I would guess that the carbonation is involved in breaking it up to make it flow easier. Also interesting that David experiences an increase in fluid before food as this suggests at least part of the problem is actually "dysfunctional" saliva (remember Pavlov's dogs).

Alex has also made the observation that milk adds to the problem but it is short term (but think this is more of a feeling than an actuality) and as weight and nutrition is a large part of Alex's daily penance, milk remains on the menu. Poor maligned milk. I was told that milk lines the stomach which will slow the effects of alcohol as well as protects against ulcers. Luckily, as a cheap drunk with a sore tummy, I have stong bones which comes in handy when I fall over smile

but I digress ... Here's the idea I have been thinking about all day (no medical knowledge in this at all). What if we are dealing with 2 differing fluid production processes (or goo as Uptown so eloquently describes it)? Mucous from nose and throat continues unabated but possibly thicker than before. Saliva produced at the front of the mouth around the teeth, tongue and cheeks is nearly non existant. Either mucous is now thick and difficult to shift or saliva no longer mixes with mucous to make it manageable but in either case, it just sits there requiring a conscious spit or swallow rather than trickling unnoticed down the back of the throat. An added complication would also be the impaired swallow that many experience. This would produce the sensation that there is more than normal production of "goo" or "crap" wouldn't it? So the idea of thinning out the mucous would seem to be the goal regardless of the cause?

Would appreciate others thoughts on this (more descriptions would be good as well as tried and tested suggestions) but in the meantime, I am off to research available mucolytics (thanks for the Durotuss tip Charm) and find out what the mechanism of Guaifenisin is.

My unsuspecting guinea pig awaits ...

Thanks again everyone.

Karen

Karen
Love of Life to Alex T4N2M0 SCC Tonsil, BOT, R lymph nodes
Dx March 2010 51yrs. Unresectable. HPV+ve
Tx Chemo x 3+1 cycles(cisplatin,docetaxel,5FU)- complete May 31
Chemoradiation (IMRTx35 + weekly cisplatin)
Finish Aug 27
Return to work 2 years on
3 years out Aug 27 2013 NED smile
Still underweight

Hi Guys:

I have the gunk/crap ALL the time too, but mine has the most putrid sweet sickening taste (all the time). I have yet to find someone else that has that problem???? Anyone? I do have the sticky saliva sometimes too, and my cheeks on the inside are always sore, so some of the Magic mouthwashes do help (a little). My last treatments were almost 3 years ago frown

julieann

Julieann
Nov 2007 SCC on right tonsil following tonsillectomy. Was smoker, QUIT. (Stage IV T2 N2b) 7 weeks radiation one day/wk chemo (carboplatin and 5-FU). Allergic to Taxol; PEG in, lost 30 lbs. TX completed January 2008. PEG out mid- 2008. PET/CT 1/17/2011;2/3/12 NEGATIVE for cancer smile

Geez, I must be getting goofy. I went back on others who wrote on this subject, and lo and behold, I was one of them. Sorry, forgot I already replied.
julieann

Julieann
Nov 2007 SCC on right tonsil following tonsillectomy. Was smoker, QUIT. (Stage IV T2 N2b) 7 weeks radiation one day/wk chemo (carboplatin and 5-FU). Allergic to Taxol; PEG in, lost 30 lbs. TX completed January 2008. PEG out mid- 2008. PET/CT 1/17/2011;2/3/12 NEGATIVE for cancer smile
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Karen,

I have thought about everything you just said BUT can find no doctor who can address these questions with me scientifically to give any of these thoughts credibility much less say "Oh hear's how to stop that!"

Go Guinea Pig Go!!!

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"

mine started in the 2nd week of radiation,mostly occurs once but sometimes twice a day and less often any more than that (worst was having 5 before lunchtime) generally i can bring it up ok but 2 or 3 times a week have an eye watering time of it . i mentioned this to my oncology dr last visit and he sent me for precautionary chest xrays then at outpatient 3 month check with surgery dr he said the xrays came back all normal . i've gotten used to them and apart from the stubborn ones creating a gagging sensation they dont worry me to much.

45 yrs. peg tube jan 07/09 TOTAL GLOSSECTOMY jan 12/09
T3NOscc oral(ex smoker )
open tracheostomy , removed oct 12/09
modified neck dissection lymph nodes I to IV
rectus abdominal flap + full dental removal
30 day radiation treatment ,diagnosed with lung cancer oct 2011
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

So what my sister is on is actually the sea sickness patch. Believe it or not. She puts the small patch behind her ear and within a few minutes the mucous is gone. You need a prescription for it though and l don't know what dr's actually use this for mucous. The drug that is in the patch is called SCOPOLAMINE.
Keep me posted please on who else uses this. I think it is rather interesting.

CG to Sister (42). Smoker quit @ diagnosis Dx 4/20/10 SCC T2N0M0, Rside of tongue Hemigloss R neck dis, all nodes removed 6/2/10, Trach and NG in, home 6/8/10,8/18/2010 start erbitux x6, 30 IMRT end 10/11/10 with only 3x erbitux due to reaction and one week off of rads
1/10/2011 Clear PET!!!
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"

hi susan, i had those when i was in hospital recovering from surgery to ease my excess saliva issue and they had some effect for that. unfortunately they werent subsidised and were about $18nz each so didnt go on with them after i was discharged.

45 yrs. peg tube jan 07/09 TOTAL GLOSSECTOMY jan 12/09
T3NOscc oral(ex smoker )
open tracheostomy , removed oct 12/09
modified neck dissection lymph nodes I to IV
rectus abdominal flap + full dental removal
30 day radiation treatment ,diagnosed with lung cancer oct 2011
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Thanks Rosalind. That's good to know. I wonder if my sisters insurance will cover it. They have really helped her.

CG to Sister (42). Smoker quit @ diagnosis Dx 4/20/10 SCC T2N0M0, Rside of tongue Hemigloss R neck dis, all nodes removed 6/2/10, Trach and NG in, home 6/8/10,8/18/2010 start erbitux x6, 30 IMRT end 10/11/10 with only 3x erbitux due to reaction and one week off of rads
1/10/2011 Clear PET!!!
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37