Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
JudinSC Offline OP
OP Offline

I'm sorry that should have been OMS Oral Mouth Surgeon.

Judy LaValle
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Hi Judy - I'm wondering what an OMG is too?! Is he sending you to an oral surgeon? How long has it been since the first surgery when the lesion was removed from your tongue and biopsied as negative for cancer?

2002 - SCC - T1N0M0 - ever vigilant

Just saw your post that it's an oral surgeon - that's the direction I would go in too

2002 - SCC - T1N0M0 - ever vigilant
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Judy,

All the bioopsy is is sending a sample of the tissue to a pathology lab so it can be looked at under a microscope. With a non healing area for the amount of time that you are describing, it would be malpractice to not have a pathology study done on it and just suture your tongue.

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
"OCF Down Under"
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Hi Judy
i didnt really want another biopsy after the first (very painful biopsy) came back negative. I even said "thanks but no thanks" to the ENT who did the first one, then 2 months later said we needed another.

A routine trip to the dentist 3 months after that, resulted in a late Friday afternoon rush to his oral surgeon friend to schedule in the second biopsy which came back positive.

Doesnt mean yours will come back positive, but answers your questions about whether you can have a negative one first and then a positive.

all the best for your own results.

stage 2 scc in left oral tongue. 32 at dx
removed 21/12/09 plus left neck dissection and upper arm flap.
clear pathology 24/12/09
non-smoker
active footballer/surfer
social drinker
lives stress-free!
JudinSC Offline OP
OP Offline

Yes he is sending me to an oral surgeon. the sore appeared in November, and was removed and biopsied in February.It was at the time negative for cancer.

Judy LaValle
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Hi Judy! So sorry to hear about what you are going through. My sister has also been going through what you have. 7 moths ago the sore came on her tongue and dr perscribed antibiotics. They worked to help it go away alittle but it always came back. She the. Went to an ENT who did a basic biopsy which came back negitive. They gave more antibiotc and sent her on her way. It soon became to painful for her to eat and she became nausea and dehydrated. She then went to the ER and they admitted her for 3 days. She had another ENT and infectious disease dr look at her and said it was nothing. That was the beginning of March. She wouldn't give up and found another ENT to look at her who scheduled her for a deep tissue biopsy 3 days later. During surgery he took a frozen section biopsy and we got the results of cancer! This was one week ago and now we are going to NYC for her treatment which we do not know what will be as of yet. I don't mean to worry you but PLEASE be persistant on this. You can have a negitive biopsy then positive. My sister is proof. She has also been battling for 7 months. Her blood work was always perfect too. Hope this helps and please keep us posted!!

CG to Sister (42). Smoker quit @ diagnosis Dx 4/20/10 SCC T2N0M0, Rside of tongue Hemigloss R neck dis, all nodes removed 6/2/10, Trach and NG in, home 6/8/10,8/18/2010 start erbitux x6, 30 IMRT end 10/11/10 with only 3x erbitux due to reaction and one week off of rads
1/10/2011 Clear PET!!!
JudinSC Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you for this helpful advise, I take it as a warning not to give up, but keep on being persistent. It does not frighten me, but keeps me on top of things, as I am the type of person that wants to educate myself about things that are going on in my body and everyday life.
I am now taking steroids which I have been allergic to in the past so I didn't want to take any, but last week my husband and I decided to give a mild dose a try, my doctor was a bit apprehensive but I told him I would still like to try it since the one that I was allergic to was in IV form.Certainly a tiny pill could not be as potent. I have been on it only 3 days, I do have less pain, with no change in appearance yet, and only a red rash on my face and neck, that is not bothersome.
I am attempting to get my insurance company to allow me to go to a oral surgeon, which my doctor also requested. There are none in network with them, in the 5 surrounding cities near me, but one very good one out of network. I will go to Her either way, but better with the insurance paying for it.
Thanks again for the advise.
This week my thyroid doctor found a lump on my neck so I will have a sonogram on that soon.He said he didn't think it was anything to worry about, but having knowledge of my tongue problem he thought it should be checked out.
I do hope that your sister gets the help and healing that she so needs.

Judy LaValle
JudinSC Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello everyone the last I reported was the I was starting on a low does of Steroids. I just want y'all to know that it is starting to heal up a little. The sore under my tongue is a bit smaller, thank the Lord! The white spot, kind of like a lump is still very painful, and not getting any better, as is the same with the cut, about 1/2 inch in length and not very deep but very painful. I do have hopes that it is going to completely heal.
I only had a slight reaction to the steroids, but noting to serious, just a red rash on my face and chest, the worst part was the side effects of not being able to sleep, I have had very bad insomnia since I started on the steroids, the instruction fact sheet did say that could happen, but I never thought it could be this bad. I haven't slept more then 3 hours in 3 day!.Does anyone have this problem?, and what do you do about it? I take 3 steroid pills a day, and cut it back to 2 and it did help a little not taking it so close to bedtime, but I do not want to hinder the healing either.
My doctor did write my referal letter for me to be sent to an oral mouth surgeon, and as soon as I get the paperwork from the insurance co. I will be going to her, and have her take a look at what is not yet heal, if anything by then.
Thanks to all of you who have cared enought to write me. It has been a help and an encouragement. I will keep you posted.
I do hope that y'all are doing well in your situation with this horrible disease. Blessing to you all.
Judy L <><

Judy LaValle
JudinSC Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello I am back again with the same problem. I had another surgery this past week and it was a lot worst than the last one. I had to go in the hospital just as I got back from vacation, as I had a bad infection in my tongue again. This is the second time having surgery on it, and it was much worst this time. The pathologist does not know what it is. He said some rare infection,it could be cancer, they may know more later on this week.
I am home from the hospital now but hurting and can not eat. I lost 1/4 of my tongue. My blood pressure went up to 208 over 111 my sugar dropped and I had to have an insulin shot, I am not normally diabetic. My oxygen was way to low making it hard for me to breath, and on top of that I was vomiting for 1 and 1/2 days. All due to the medicines that they kept changing to make
me well.
I am not sure where this is going, but I am looking forward to a quick recovery.
Judy L <><

Judy LaValle
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndlors01, Kval, iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina