Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

I like what I learned from it also. My issue is proactively incorporating it into my life. Choices. That's what it boils down to. You really have to WORK to make them. It is so easy to fall back into the old ways.

I was really different before cancer, interested in getting ahead at all costs, focused on ME, and a longer list of negatives that I won't list here since I'm embarrassed that I was that guy. But in my "new" life, I make choices, consciously, every day, and they are so different than before. I live my life differently, in almost every way. I relish a great relationship, I make time to nurture it and let it develop. I want to learn something new every day. I guess that the pendulum on the "life is service part" has swung pretty far to the other side. I don't have an extended family other than my wife, but I have a network of friends that I love like family, and an extended one through OCF. I no longer treat my body like a rental car. And speaking of cars, the high end Euromobile is now a hybrid Prius. I eat differently, choosing not only what is good for me but what is good for the planet. (Does that sound new age or what?) I have one luxury/escape, and that is being upside down and twisted around in an aerobatic plane. I no longer suffer fools. This list could go on and on.... but the net of it is that I am a completely different person. I don't live in one of the green zones of the world, but I can create my own around me. Brian 2.0 - New and improved... well everything but my swallowing and saliva.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Great words Brian. I love reading far more then writing so I follow along on this board by reading and adding some of my thoughts as I step out of my shell. As our family comes out of this experience for the second time I know that none of us will be unscathed. We have been working towards the kind of life you ascribe to above as we make our "Choices". God bless you and the work you have started and accomplished here with OCF.

Bonnie

CG to daughter Brandy age 31 initial dx 10/06
SCC T4N0M0 with bone invasion upper maxillary
Surgery 10/06
CT's clear for 2 years

2nd recurrence - Laser surgery 1/09 dx
Tumor board - No surgery to invasive for QOL
35 IMRT 3/30/09 Completed 5/15/09
8 tx Erbitux 3/24/09 Completed 5/6/09

I have found that anything sweet or sour make my mouth burn and have for the last 2 years.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users