Karen,

You can see by my signature that the results of my surgery are similar to Chip's. Over the years in this forum we have discussed the protocol of throwing everything possible at oral cancer and some of us have not had that done. Well, if I don't have a recurrence, then I did the right thing. If I do, then I didn't. Right now, being almost 3.5 years post surgery, I don't regret my decision and I will have the option of doing more at that time if it is recommended. Don't think, however, that I and the others in this situation, didn't spend time worrying if we had done the right thing.

I went along with my surgeon's recommendations to do nothing else and this decision was backed up by the radiation oncologist at the CCC where I was treated.

If you would like to discuss this further with me, you can send me an email with your phone number and I would happy to talk about it.

BTW, it wasn't too long ago that Brian had stated that this protocol is being followed more commonly in cases like ours.

Jerry

PS
I don't think I ever answered you about my daughter no longer working in Lower Manhattan. She left the firm and is now an in-house counsel for Verizon Wireless.

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"