Andrew, Are you talking about radiation burn to the skin or the burning sensation you get in your mouth and throat? Either way, those things are so different for everyone who goes through it that I don't know if anyone's individual answer will be that much help. For example, I did not have much problem with burn to the skin until the very last week and it never got as bad as what I have seen other people post. On the other hand, the effect the radiaiton had on my mouth and throat was worse than what it was for many other people. That began about week 3 for me. There are some lucky folks who get through treatment without exeptionally bad reactions anywhere (inside the mouth and throat or on the skin).

In terms of lasting after treatment, the burn I did have got infected, or so they thought anyway, right after my treatment ended. I was in the hospital and they gave me some silver sufadine ointment to treat it (I think that's what it was called--it's been 3 years) and that made the burned skin all peel off within a couple of days and by the end of that week my skin was fine. The burning on my mouth took forever to heal but I am very atypical that way. I think for most people healing begins three to four weeks after radiation.

I know you're asking these questions because you feel like you'll be better prepared if you know what to expect. I felt very much like that when I was going through treatment. But do be aware that we're all different so what is true for anyone of us may not be true for someone else, even if they got exactly the same treatment.

Hang in there and keep coming here as things move along.

Nelie

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"