When you say "it is a one day procedure" it's not clear to me if you mean it is day surgery and she will be released in the evening of the same day or if it is overnight surgery. Especially if it is day surgery, be sure she is given good stuff for nausea (sych as zofran), because the aftereffect of surgical anesthetics generally make people a little more queasy than usual. This can last into the next day as well (and sometimes pain meds also exacerbate nausea). Last year I had day surgery in Boston and after I was released my husband decided we'd drive all the way back hime (6 hrs) because there was a blizzard heading our way. We did make it home before the blizzard but the trip home was horrible for me--I felt on the edge of vomiting for the whole time and since I had just had my esophagus stretched open, vomiting would have been a worse than usual thing to go through. Somehow I managed to avoid it happening but just barely.

Next time I told them before the surgery that I tended to get nauseated after surgery and they gave me soemthing during the anesthesia, I think zofran, that prevented all that.

Nelue

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"