Just to chip in on this thread, at my CCC (Arthur James Cancer Hospital & Solove Research Institute @ Ohio State), I am seen routinely by my surgical oncologist, radiation oncologist and medical oncologist. I see each every 6 - 9 weeks, and with staggering of the appointments, it is seldom more than 3 or 4 weeks without seeing somebody.

I finished treatment in early July, had my first PET in early October (ordered by MO), and a repeat in early December (due to suspected false positives on first one). At every surgical oncologist appointment, they take a current history, do vital signs, examine oral cavity, tongue, oropharynx and larynx with mirror and/or scope, and do a thorough palpation of neck. RO does the same routine, but adds examination of axillary areas and listens to chest. MO does visual of throat, palpates neck, chest abdomen, and draws blood. Every other visit or so he will order a chest X-Ray.

My RO and surgeon both seem to prefer the physical examination to scans. MO puts a little more weight on the scan portion. RO told me that after thousands and thousands of patients, he has a good ability to detect even early recurrences with physical exam, and can generally tell which patients are going to do well and which are not through the clinical course. Don't know how true that is, but since he thinks I'm doing great, I might choose to believe him! ;-)

Jeff
SCC Right BOT Dx 3/28/2007
T2N2a M0G1,Stage IVa
Bilateral Neck Dissection 4/11/2007
39 x IMRT, 8 x Cisplatin Ended 7/11/07
Complete response to treatment so far!!