I should mention also that the chance of ORN is about 10% and sometimes even occurs in patients that had all of their teeth pulled.

Jill the stuff I use comes in a can ready to use (just shake well first). It's called Butler 0.9% pH Neutral Flouride Topical Foam. Oral B also makes an equivalent and in more flavors. It only take 5 minutes for a treatment. They are both prescription. In the dentists office they use a 1.8% strength. This stuff is easy to use and won't burn because of being pH netral. Don't use the OTC stuff and tell your dentist to get into the 21st century - he'll have to order it for you.

From a dental perspective you want to avoid, at all costs, having any extractions in the immediate radiation field, particularly the lower jaw. You can NEVER take dental hygiene for granted EVER again!

Others here have gotten successful implants after HBO therapy.

Radiation sometimes kills the flap - at least that's what my H&N surgeon told me so the HBO probably wouldn't have helped. Actually if there are residual cancer cells left behind HBO can actually accelerate their growth.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)