I am currently in a phase II trial that includes erlotinib (Tarceva) along with a chemo regimen to treat my recurrence. I've been on it for a little over a month now. They started me at 150mg, but after about two weeks it caused pretty severe acne. So they took me off it for a week, then lowered the dosage to 100mg. I am tollerating the 100mg level much better. It is still causing acne, but I would characterize it as mild and manageable. So far, the acne has been the only issue I have had with the drug. Fortunately, for me at least, it seems to being doing the trick. Since I re-entered treatment, we've seen a 20% reduction in the size of my tumor. Over all, I seem to be tollerating the drug quite well -- it is certainly less invasive and causes much less discomfort than the chemo or radiation and I would urge your husband to seriously consider it. Anything you can do to decrease your chances of recurrence is certainly worth it in my book.

-Brett

Base of Tongue SCC. Stage IV, T1N2bM0. Diagnosed 25 July 2003.
Treated with 6 weeks induction chemo -- Taxol & Carboplatin once a week followed with 30 fractions IMRT, 10 fields per fraction over 6 more weeks. Recurrence October 2005.