Hi Michelle,
My mouth reacted alot like Karen's did and reading her posts really helped me understand it and relax about it after radiation. I will be two years "out" from radiation on July 10th and I still get sores on my tongue. Some will stay for a couple of months but they always look the same and they always go away, slow but sure. They are also painful and pop up in different places each time.
At five weeks out my mouth was still a mess but I was feeling better. I was out in public every day by then BUT I didn't have chemo and I think that compromises the immune system more....am I right Gary??
I wish you could have made it today but we all understand.............we have next year to look forward to.
Minnie

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.