I have no objection to a basic level of coverage available to all and then also the option of paying for private care--as exists in the UK. But the whole purpose of health coverage should be you get covered for what you need. If you give people too many "options" of what is insured, they will fail to insure themselves for things they end up needing and that doesn't help anyone.

In my opinion we should have no choice but to pay for health insurance as we are able (and this is regardless of whether you think a private or state run system is best). It shouldn't be an option. People who can afford to pay if they budget but don't pay because they think they won't get sick, and then do, end up costing everyone else. And I have to admit I was one of those folks for a while (I was putting myself through grad school and I was very poor) but if I ahd gotten really sick, I would have had to get "charity" care and the cost of that care gets passed on to everyone in higher medical costs!

Nelie

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"