My husband has completed 14 IMRT's and 1 round of chemo. He is still eating everything except for very dry foods. It takes him longer but, he is not in any increased pain other than mild discomfort from mouth sores yet.
For pain, he takes one Vicodin in the am and one in the pm. He doesn't like the miracle mouthwash so uses the Caphasol and he really likes this!! It is wonderful! He also uses the Biotene moisturizing gel sometimes. We use a humidifier in the bedroom so that the air is very moist and he rests really well at night.

He hasn't used the PEG yet, was really uncomfortable for about 2 weeks after it was put in, too. The nice thing about having it is that it's there for when he will need it. His weight is still good, in fact he gained back the weight he lost from the tonsillectomy. Has gained 4 lbs. since beginning the radiation and chemo. I spend a lot of time preparing meals that are really appetizing (as his taste buds are about gone) and texturized so that he can chew and swallow without it taking forever. I just called him at work and he is having a taco salad. Go figure!

Pam

Caregiver of husband, age 57, non-smoker, DX: 4/07 w/undifferentiaed SCC, TX IMRT X37 @ 200, Chemo Cisplatin, 5FU X2. TREATMENTS COMPLETED ON 6/20/07!!