Hello KimRuth, Yes they can and do radiate larger areas with IMRT. Essentially they map out areas to provide better control of side effects (such as salivary glands).

As far as reassuring facts go you can search here at the forum about "statistics" and you will read plenty. My sugestion: don't bother! Have hope, live each day, trust your care givers (or find new ones. Radiation can be very effective.

You are alive today, that is all anyone ever knows for sure.

Here is the controverial thought for the day:
If you had not been diagnosed or treated until the node popped up you would perhaps been staged differently but not have been in the "recurrent" catagory. Recurrent cancer usually will be statistically classed with a group that has a poorer outcome. I do not think that is good use of statistics. In other words You may do much better than your statistical class/group. Staging and statistics are for doctors. Try not to dwell on it.

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.