Rosie, welcome to the site. The thick mucous is a common problem after radiation. I used to wake up every 30-45 minutes and hit the bathroom coughing and gagging. Could only sleep sitting up in bed and still woke up every hour. This went on for a month or so and then started to gradually get better. I now am 10 months out from rad and generally sleep up to 6 hours through. So hang in there, it will get better.

I was on the peg also and had it removed finally in July, 5 months post rad. I had trouble starting to eat solids and my wife made me all kinds of foods. Found the best for me was poached eggs on light toast with lots of soda to help wash it down. Still use lots of liquids to wash the food down due to the salivary gland damage and resultant dry mouth.

From the sounds of things, your husband may be experiencing the normal post treatment symptoms, so I would be a little careful looking for a surgical solution to problems which may go away by themselves. However, there is no harm in getting a second opinion. There may be other issues which can be addressed differently. Hope all turns out well.

Regards, Kirk Georgia
Stage IV, T1N2aM0, right tonsil primary, Tonsilectomy 11/03, 35 rad/3cisplatin chemo, right neck dissection 1/04 - 5/04.