Hey Kellie, I'm glad your sister is able to keep food down. Some have trouble even with the peg. I didn't have much trouble with that, though I could only take 4 cans a day. That's why I added Instant Breakfast to the first one and used the plus version to get 350 calories per can. I still lost 50 pounds, 25% of my body weight, even with the peg.

Yes, I worked through my last rad appointment and didn't take meds during the day because as an outside salesperson, I drive all the time and didn't want to put others at risk. However, I had to drive to Miami from home for my rad treatments, which is 100 miles round trip, so I might as well work on the way there and back, right?

Try to help your sister with her depression. A positive attitude is important in getting through this. Is she a religious person? I found that my faith allowed me to get through the experience much easier. I turned the whole thing over to the Lord and prayed for His help and strength to get me through the hard spots. It was critical to me. I avoided any type of depression and was positive throughout because I knew He loved me and would help me through.

You and your mother are very special. I'm sure your sister knows that and appreciates it completely. Don't forget that you both need to take care of each other, as well, to be able to be there for your sister when she really needs you. These next 4-6 weeks will be critical. They are the hardest and she will need you a lot. Bless you both for being there for her. I would have been lost without my wife, who propped me up from the first day. My prayers are for all of you and your families.

Regards, Kirk Georgia
Stage IV, T1N2aM0, right tonsil primary, Tonsilectomy 11/03, 35 rad/3cisplatin chemo, right neck dissection 1/04 - 5/04.