I have been following and using this site since I was diagnosed with tongue cancer in Feb. 2006. I am 34 years old. The board has given me great information and I appreciate everyone's stories.

I had surgery to remove the tumor, neck dissection to remove the lymph nodes and just finished radiation treatment on May 17. Cancer was Stage 1 with no node involvement.

I knew of all the side effects that could potentially occur during radiation but I am surprised at how I feel now that radiation is done. I kind of feel crappy and I was wondering if this is normal and if other people experienced the same things. I guess I thought I would feel great once treatment ended.

For instance, I have a dry cough now..it seems to be getting better though. I am also very tired. Believe it or not, I was not really tired at all during radiation. How long do you feel so tired? And also, when does the swelling and pain in the mouth go away- right after treatment was done, it felt like my tongue was on fire. I also drink Ensure and have pasta...that is all I can really eat right now. When were people able to expand their food selection (I so need a cheeseburger!)

My oncologist said that I should start feeling alot better after 2 weeks.

Anyway, any insight people can provide after experiencing their tongue being radiated would be appreciated. thanks.

Female, 36 yrs. old. Stage 1 tongue cancer; no lymph nodes; surgery & radiation