David --

Welcome to the board -- I think it is great that you are there for your dad. Though I now live in Ohio, I was born and raised just up the road from you, in Redwood City.

I also was diagnosed earlier this year with cancer of the tongue base, in my case on the right side. I also had SCC in 2 lymph nodes on that side. My tumor was about 2 cm, so they elected to use radiation to kill it, rather than surgery. However, my first step in treatment was a bilateral neck dissection, where they removed multiple levels of lymph nodes and a salivary gland from each side.

I then had 39 IMRT treatments and 8 radiation treatments. I was given Amifostine daily to help my salivary glands, as well as a prescription for Salagen.

I am a litle over 2 months out from treatment, and am clinically cancer free. The saliva is an issue, but nothing life shattering. Biotene products help, as does the Salagen. I can eat just about anything -- I just might need water to get some things down, such as some cakes or breads that suck up the available moisture in the mouth.

My neck is stiff from the radiation, but that is a minor annoyance. I am pretty much back to pre-treatment shape, except that I am 25 pounds lighter, and have to be more careful about my skin in terms of moisture and sun exposure.

The treatment is no fun, but aggressive treatment can cure and minimize recurrence chances. Keep close to the board -- we are all here to help.

Jeff
SCC Right BOT Dx 3/28/2007
T2N2a M0G1,Stage IVa
Bilateral Neck Dissection 4/11/2007
39 x IMRT, 8 x Cisplatin Ended 7/11/07
Complete response to treatment so far!!