Mike, The same thing happened to me--when my tonsils were removed (not knowing there was a tumor before surgery, the doctor removed as much as he could when he discovered it), the hospital reported clean margins. They said I would only need radiation on one side, no problem. When I went for a second opinion at Dana Farber they reported the margins were NOT clear. So I went from radiation on one side to full neck radiation, chemotherapy, a feeding tube, and out of work for six months. They said what was left behind was microscopic and the cisplatin should clear it out. A second surgery would have been a MAJOR deal, so they thought it was not worth it. Thank goodness for second opinions. Staying with the first hospital could have been a devastating mistake. Good luck to you!

Left tonsil SCC, HPV+. T2N0M0. Tonsillectomy 3-07, bilateral radiation, cisplatin 3x, Tx completed 6-06. Clear PET 4-01-2008.
Thyroidectomy 5-9-08, resulting in permanent surgically-induced hypoparathyroidism and adrenal problems. Bummer.