Hello.........I know that each and everyone of us diagnosed with Oral cancer has done some sort of research on what to expect with both surgery and treatments. Most of the information is written in medical form with the exception of the OCF message board. During my recovery from cancer and treatments I began searching bookstore and the Internet for personal cancer stories. I wanted to know how other folks coped with their cancer diagnoses, their surgeries and treatments, and if they lost the use of an organ or a limb how they recovered both mentally and physically. At this point in my recovery I was having a difficult time emotionally and I thought by reading other peoples stories I might gain some insight. Plus, I was tired of reading all the medical jargon--I wanted and needed first hand experiences from folks who at some point during the cancer journey were experiencing the same physical and emotional challenges that I was. (that is why this message board is so wonderful!!)

So, like Oprah, I thought maybe the members of this OCF message board could start their own little book club. We could list books we've enjoyed, newspaper articles, upcoming TV programs that have to do with cancer, like the Bill Moyers series on PBS about chronic illness and death and dying.

I'll start by sharing one of my favorite books about TONGUE cancer---don't find many tongue cancer stories lining the shelfs at the public library--LOL. I found this one on the Internet, and I absolutely loved the book. The name of the book: Because Cowards Get Cancer Too; A Hyporchondriac Confronts His Nemesis by John Diamond. I liked the book because Mr. Diamond is a wonderful writer and because it was/is the only book I could ever find about tongue cancer specifically. Mr. Diamond is a British bloke with a wonderful sense of humor. His story reflects many of our own--- first there was a misdiagnoses, then trouble locating the primary tumor, the doctors never do find the primary tumor, Mr. Diamond does by "listening to his body," then he takes the reader through his surgery, chemo and Radiation. He tells his story with courage, dignity, and a wonderful sense of humor that he never seems to lose. The book is a very good read! Anyone else out there with a good book, newspaper/magazine article that was particulary interesting or emotionally moving? I, for one, would love to hear about it. Sincerely, Donna

SCC first time 1989, with a diagnoses of 'cancer in situ' removed lesion, no other treatments.
SCC recurrence 1997 of tongue and floor of the mouth. Stage III /IV Hemmiglossectomy (removed over 60% of tongue/ floor of the mouth), free flap, modified neck, RAD and Chemo(cisplatin, 5fu) simutainously.
Cancer free 6, yes, six, years!