Great job on getting through rads without a feeding tube! Not easy. I lost about 10-15 lbs thru rads on a 155 lb 6' frame. You gotta force feed yourself things that taste like cardboard (or worse). I recall the list of what i could stomach got really short (about 15 items).

It is scary. I can recall conversations with Doctors telling me and my wife that i may not be able to speak, eat, feeding tubes for life, etc. But, good news, my life is back to full speed and has been for a couple years. It took many months though. What took over an hour to eat soon after surgery now takes about 15 min. I can recall a few of my first regular foods (like scrambled eggs or french toast) took soooo long to eat. I could barely manipulate it. I can now speak and be understood. Speech took months to clear up but i could talk to strangers fairly quickly after surgery if they were patient with me. I remember jumping on a conference call with a customer about 6 weeks after surgery and thinking let's take this tongue for a test drive! I still have a lisp and it comes and goes depending on what i eat, hydration ? not sure exactly what causes it to vary but it does.

The upshot is things kept getting better. The pace of crowns and root canals has even started to slow a little these last 6 months. Even three years out, I still slowly notice improvements in what i can taste and eat. Ketchup has been one of the harder ones for me but i can now eat it straight up on french fries (took almost 3 years).

I hope you find a good dentist. I got lucky and found a local one with some experience with oral cancer and she is quite patient and attentive. I am in there every 3 months for regular cleanings plus all the work on top of that. They know me well!

I am rambling. Prayers for no more cancer are sent your way. This cancer ride is a damn roller coaster that none of us ever knew we were in line for the rest of our lives. Hang in there.

Stay safe and keep the faith,
Nels

OC thriver, Tongue Stage IV, diag 3/12/20, surg 4/1/20, RT compltd 7/8/20