Hi all,

I had surgery 4/1/20 (tongue flap and neck dissection/nodes removed) and finished 60 Gy of radiation 7/8/20. My tastes were pretty jacked up for about 3-6 months after rads. The last 3 weeks and month after I finished rads, I could only eat a few very simple things and used a blender for a lot of it. Slowly, month by month, I noticed I was able to add something back into my diet (Pizza - YAY!). Oddly, for me, sweets never really left. I had the right side of my tongue removed. Maybe that plays a roll?

Now I am coming up on 2-1/2 years and most flavors are back. The one thing I still have to be careful of is spicy food. I can maybe pull of a 2 or 3 spice level on a 0-10 scale. Ketchup used to be really hard for me and I still have to mix it with some mayo or similar or it bites back. Alcohol tastes horrible but I only miss the occasional glass of wine with my wife on a special occasion.

Someone above said it, everyone recovers different. I have heard about 3 years for flavors to regulate. Based on my experience so far, I would agree.

Wishing you all the best and more flavors as you approach the holiday season!

Stay safe and keep the faith,
Nels

OC thriver, Tongue Stage IV, diag 3/12/20, surg 4/1/20, RT compltd 7/8/20