Hi Nels,

I had my surgery in late August, and everything was as you said. I was in intensive care for three days, and they let me go home on day nine. It was amazing how many tubes and wires are involved in all this! The gradual removal of them was a high point of my days. I went home tube/wireless and without a trach, which I was grateful for. The best part was the tonsil margins were clear and the lymph nodes negative.

All the doctors and nurses were impressed with the boogie board. It was amazingly helpful. I was able to pick one up on the way to the hospital.

I'm pretty much healed up, and still doing therapy for speech/swallowing. I had a video swallow study a couple weeks after surgery, and didn't get past liquids. Liquids are better than nothing. Speech therapist is urging me to do a follow up. Hoping for better results on the next one. I'm faithfully doing all the exercises, and there are a lot of them. Speech/swallowing is going to be a long road for me. I'm lacking energy and tire easily, but I know that will improve over time. I'm able to take a daily walk, which helps.

Thank you so much for your helpful advice. Grateful to you for helping me understand what to expect, and also grateful for skilled surgeons and medical teams!

Take care,
Pam

Last edited by Pamj63; 10-18-2022 05:03 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention something.

Diagnosed November 2021.
T4N2M0 tonsillar cancer, (left tonsil) spread to base of tongue, some lymph nodes, HPV positive.
6 weekly cisplatin treatments (blood counts low, skipped last one) concurrent with 33 daily radiation treatments 69.96 GY