My oncologist said an occasional drink was okay and although I have abstained from alcohol since 2007, I used to enjoy non-alcoholic beer on occasion. After my sixth surgery in 2019 I visited a naturopath who was willing to work with me in conjunction to my other physicians. She suggested that I had silent reflux and placed me on a low acid diet. This involved giving up soft drinks, non-alcoholic beer and a large number of foods such as tomatoes, citrus, pineapple, tart apples, mango, and most berries. It also ruled out seltzers and any carbonated beverages. It limits chocolate, coffee, and tea. Although i did have a recurrence of cancer in 2020 and had 3 more surgeries, radiation, and chemo, I have stuck to this diet and my mouth has been calmer than it's been since 2010.

I'm not saying that all oral cancer survivors should give up alcohol or non-alcoholic beverages, but I know that in my case it made all the difference.

Catherine, SCC floor of mouth DX 2010,unclear margins, PET scan clear, no chemo or rad,biopsy in 9/2010, 2nd excision 10/2010 didn't get all carcinoma in situ; partial gloss & excis. right floor 2/2/2011 margins clear. Part.gloss-10/5/2011 sev dys clean marg. HPV neg. Don't smoke or drink. SCC floor of mouth left side 4/2016. Dysp excis. rt palate 7/2017 Part gloss sev dys lat marg 2/2019 Part gloss free flap rt neck disc 5/2020 Part gloss bilat neck disc 7/2020 33 rad 3 cis.